Sign in to follow this  
HaydnRex

Reef tank upgrade

I would assume the coral as the fish will be a bit freaked from the move.  If nothing is moved too much after the fish are added then they hopefully will settle faster.

However, it's a long time since I had a marine tank and I never moved everything from one tank to another.

I ended up taking everything out of the 120 and putting it in an easy then set up a drip line from the 400 to acclimate everything as I would normally when introducing fish or coral.

Then placed all the coral before adding the fish.

Just realised I haven't seen my bicolour benny for a while and didn't spot him during the move.

I'm guessing he may have jumped and one of the dogs got a snack.

Whoops.

Any way, here's a quick after snap .

Will take better photos when there is no glare and everything has settled in.

IMG_20161120_173252.jpg

I don't think my box fish is gonna make it :( he's been like this since the move. He seemed fine beforehand. 

Everything else seems to be doing great.

I separated him from the main tank just in case he decides to poison everything if he doesn't make it. 

I have added an airstone to his little tank and a small dose of melafix as it's the only thing I have on hand at the moment.

IMG_20161121_202802.jpg

IMG_20161121_202810.jpg

did you add ammo lock for a few days and mag and peroxide as well?

They take out any adverse stress during settling in!!

The dice box due to its breathing apparatus is very easily PH and or ammonia affected, quite often to death.

Hopefully not.

Reefers need to get educated on the use of the correct peroxide, I did my experiments with it, so any one can!

I did a huge thing on all this, but look at what pure, non stabilised food grade peroxide is!

H2O2, that equates to a tiny amount of fresh water and lots of oxygen, so with out toxic stabilisers that I found near no one has realised that's part of most peroxides, it's literally life saving stuff with in three seconds of hitting saltwater!!!

I didn't think to add anything to the tank @liquidg and I have no experience with peroxide (apart from a brief embarrassing stint in my early teenage years)

I have a lot to learn, hopefully not at the expense of any more fish or corals.

Is there anything that you would recommend I try to help him recover?

17 hours ago, HaydnRex said:

(apart from a brief embarrassing stint in my early teenager

Is there anything that you would recommend I try to help him recover?

lol, lol, yeh I remember it well, I was an actual surfer but many others used it to get that sun-bleached look. The peroxide then was no where near as safe as the ones now.

You could dose the water it is in with miniscule amounts of "good" peroxide and I mean miniscule in such a tiny container, if gill function is harmed the peroxide will raise oxygen.

Reefers or fish only keepers with salt water, to have peroxide in the fridge, a mix of good mags in a bottle and ammo lock all on hand, there is a fix for most issues in those three.

You see bacterial respiration or a change upsetting bacteria makes co2 and the initial produces ammonia, both screw up PH, bacterial respiration, you know the cycle, it makes CO2!!!.

So you add additional oxygen via peroxide that takes 3 to 10 seconds to begin saturating your water with life giving oxygen making co2 and ammonia harmless and if gills get damaged it also provides enough oxygen to prevent a chocking stress event for your tank life harmed by the usual ammonia made at the tank move or when you move live rock and stops PH from crashing, also if ammo lock is added, it converts the ammonia to ammonium which is so much less toxic compared to ammonia and if you add some good mag that's a top buffer.

Oxygen good, PH good, ammonia not harmful, there you go, near on nothing can go wrong now.

Oh and another thing, if the tank is over 1 year, there may be hydrogen sulphide released into the water, the peroxide cancels out that hassle as well.

If in doubt or worried, add peroxide!!!!!!!!

I did a huge thread up on the experiments and out comes I did with peroxide, but I can not link to it here.

This one video or three and many pics in that thread that shows the immense amount of oxygen as the peroxide separates its make up just after I added 8 mill, of pure peroxide to my tank the way it should be added, this was to kill off hair algae and side affect is every one else is so happy!

nope, just which ever one does not have stabilisers and do not add it to the tank, it should be applied to a section of rock or sand via a syringe. 

Just added to the water is potentially dangerous, I found out that one the hard way, lol

Made a couple of @liquidg inspired pre filters this afternoon, I was using some coarse sponge in the top of my overflow (mainly to stop the splashing noise) but the coarse sponge is a bit of a pain to wash out as things get trapped in it.

So I decided to upgrade, using some egg crate a filter sock and some superglue. 

I cut the egg crate to fit into the overflow and around plumbing, cut the filter sock to around 10mm larger than the egg crate (I cut up a filter sock because I couldn't find any filter material to suit), applied a drop of glue to each corner of the egg crate and glued it to the filter pad. 

Lastly I cut slits into the filter pad to let the plumbing poke through and placed the pre filter into the overflow.

I made a couple so I can swap them out every day or two depending on how dirty they get (not many fish in the tank at the moment as most have been moved to quarantine after a white spot outbreak).

Here's a few pictures in case anyone else has an AR400 and wanted to do the same the overflow is silent once pre filter is installed.

And one of how the tank is looking at the moment just because.

IMG_20161224_131505.jpg

IMG_20161224_131517.jpg

IMG_20161224_132007.jpg

IMG_20161224_125614.jpg

Super glue? silicon works fine mate. If you are using that in a pre filtering way, what it catches is still in your water, while it is in your water, rinse it out each day if you can.

oh and for small jobs I cut my egg crate with a soldering iron and I buy my wadding/filter floss from spot light.