mag-98

Collecting Natives

I wanted to post this in the Australian Native section but it looks like its been removed.

I caught 4 juvenile Mouth Almighties approximately 15mm long from the Ross River in Townsville, along with a Speckled or Wilsons Goby.

I got them back home to Brisbane and released them into my smaller Native community tank.

Next morning, all gone!!!

Now, in this tank are glassfish (adult and juvenile), Empire & Purple Spotted Gudgeons, and a Juvenile Sleepy Cod I caught in Lake Maraboon in Emerald. The  biggest of these are approximately 6cm long.

I wouldn't have thought any of these would touch the new fish especially when there are smaller glassfish in the tank.

Oh well, lesson learned.

20161127_081021.jpg

I thought it was against the law to go collecting as boating and fisheries are cracking down hard on people who go collecting it comes with fins up a 10000 dollars or more and jail time from what I know of the laws in this country I know there are people on here from the department of boating and fisheries and they will catch members out sooner or later

13 minutes ago, johnbetta said:

I thought it was against the law to go collecting as boating and fisheries are cracking down hard on people who go collecting it comes with fins up a 10000 dollars or more and jail time from what I know of the laws in this country I know there are people on here from the department of boating and fisheries and they will catch members out sooner or later

I'm pretty sure it's not quite as cut and dry as all that. 

I don't do natives, but I'm pretty sure you can keep certain types of wild caught native fish in your aquarium, just as I'm certain there are types you can't. It's the selling of them you won't get away with without a licence.

And then their is restrictions on bag limit, size, and equipment used to catch the fish with.

30 minutes ago, johnbetta said:

No it's not illegal. Bag limits and methods of fishing apply. A quick google search will get you the facts.

You cannot catch and sell.

Collecting your own natives for the aquarium is a very rewarding and fun hobby.

40 minutes ago, johnbetta said:

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations/gear-fresh-waters

It's never been illegal to collect your own fish.  Its the same as fishing. You can either eat your catch, put it in an aquarium or anything except sell it.

You  cannot collect live coral even if for own aquarium.

will speak to my mate from boating and fisheries and see what she has to say and will get back to u with the info I know about coral I know we cant relies fish from our tanks back into the wild I know that for 100%

its eligal to collect saltwater fish fresh water fish are allowed but only in small numbers and no fresh water plants are to be taken from the water as that has a fin up to 500 dollars shrimp are allowed to be collected in small amounts the laws will be changing in 2019

9 minutes ago, johnbetta said:

its eligal to collect saltwater fish fresh water fish are allowed but only in small numbers and no fresh water plants are to be taken from the water as that has a fin up to 500 dollars shrimp are allowed to be collected in small amounts the laws will be changing in 2019

Johnbetta lol!!!  It's best not to confuse avid fishermen and the like. What you are saying is that it's illegal to go fishing in saltwater....

Read the link I posted above. If it's not clear keep looking under the daf website.  Everything is there in black and white.

I was very keen to get ( Pseudomugil mellis ) Honey Blue Eyes for my aquaponic system for Mosquito control.

lkjhlkjh2.jpg

after looking into it I found out they are currently protected and a Threatened Species (at least in Q.L.D.). The laws are very strict in my opinion and I also agree with them fully. 

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id=26180

I decided just to stick with what I can buy from the shops and breeders to stay safe from fines (gawd knows I get enough of them as it is ha ha ha). Also its nice to support the local shops and breeders that do great work for the hobby.