Sign in to follow this  
msc0433

Aluminium stands

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has experience with lots of weight on a aluminium stand as the engineer at work has offered to build me a 2 tier stand out of aluminium for my new tanks.  Basically it will be 14 foot long (2 stands8 foot and 6 foot) and a meter wide as will be holding 14 tanks each one a meter long x 60 wide x 45 high. So basically 1.9 tonnes per tier.   Has anyone on this site had any problems with aluminium stands as would love some feed back.   From what I have read on Google aluminium is tuff as it's used on aeroplanes and as long as we put plenty of legs to distribute weight it should be ok?  Thanks. Mark

Very slowly my new fish room is taking shape. I hope the aluminium stands can cope with the weight.  They are made from 40x40 box aluminium that is 3 mm thick and has screws in the legs to adjust their height for uneven concrete. They will be holding 14 tanks 1 meter x 60cm wide x 45 high made by Mick down the goldie.  

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

Thanks aquaholic will do it that way as as don't want any problems.  They are weirs so when power goes out the sump copes easily as got loads more tanks connected which aren't is the photo 

Good size tanks. My most favourite size. I don't use full foam bases, just strips to let more light into the very bottom tanks. Thicker foam strips at back to tilt tanks forward to artificially raise the water level  (appearance) and to make sure any floods are at front and quickly noticed.  Either roof light or skylight during the day with 25mm polystyrene over the skylight to let in sunlight but keep insulation. 

I place a drain hole lower down with a PVC elbow up to set water level but there are lots of ways to set up tanks. You will most probably set up and reset up a few times till your happy.  

Bragging about them new stands again mark ,let me know if you want a real level to level them stands up ive seen the one youhave......Noah  threw it away cos it was antique when he built the ark

hi mark nice size tanks my first rack i had 1mx6oox500  an now i wished i had keeped  them any way it looks like you have a big job ahead and good luck with the set up

Sign in to follow this