darkangel

catching fish in local creeks

just wondering what local creeks ppl have caught nice rainbows or blue eyes. i'm in nth brissy for those who don't know although i don't mind travelling a bit. i tried talking my dad into coming to tin can bay with me but he wasn't to keen on that idea lol. also how much warmer does it have to be before i should attempt to catch anything??

catching guppys is the easyest to do and 90% of the time u will get swordtails in amonsgt the guppys just get a pot like a lobby pot and u probably catch them no worrys as for rainbows and blue eyes you'd probably have better chance on fishing rod with earth worms as bait but i always catch guppys from local creeks to fed my turtle

i catch guppies, glass shrimp & red tail gudgeons from a creek that runs through my old's property in narangba. i just use a big net & a bucket. i use em as feeders for my american cichlids. i pretty much rely on the cichlids being healthy enough to resist wild diseases & parasites... been fine so far.

i've caught gudgeons & fresh water perch in a creek at a mate's place in dayboro & some unidentified rainbows from another mate's place at st. johns wood near the ashgrove sportsground.

i use em as feeders for my american cichlids. i pretty much rely on the cichlids being healthy enough to resist wild diseases & parasites... been fine so far.

I will say you have been lucky more than anything. I have seen a few tanks wiped out this way. In one case a whole 6x2x2 full of cichlids. Yet the flatmates tank with the Murray Cod was fine. Joys of hearing hard luck stories through these forums & times in lfs. For feeders I have heard of people salt bathing them first to rid parasites & similar.

Quarantine as a rule should be 6 weeks. I suppose we are meant to do this with fish bought from lfs, let alone wild caughts from a creek. :?

Frenchy :D

I used to catch fish (rainbows, guppies, swordtails, reds, penny turtles) in Downey Creek at West Chermside over 30 years ago (am I that old!) is there still fish there?

I thought that all these would have been killed off years ago.

If they have lasted through all the rubbish that we (people in general) have poured down the drain I'd be quarantining for 6 months before I feed them to your prized possessions ! ! (just a statement no substantiation)

I have some mel doublayi from ceder creek at Samford and they are nice enough fish for locals (don't tell the European breeders lol) but as they have already mentioned here bring them home and put them in a hospital tank till you have cleared up the fin rot and cleaned out the parasites.

They are actually quite tough.

Depending on the time of year You can catch smelts at the lakes at Caboolture and gugions the rest of the time

The guppies take over I think there are rainbows in there but have never caught any

The spill way at the North Pine dame has crimson spots rainbows in the warmer months and a few lung fish and a heap of glass swrimp up in the weeds

Rocks burg at the back of caboolture has rainbows as well

U can get fresh water musals from lake kurwongba not shore on the fish in there but i have caught spangle pirch in there

So There are a few around at the right time of year

Roo