Sign in to follow this  
pk333

Red Severum < Gold Severum

When did the gold/orange Severum get rebranded as a Red Severum?

i have seen photos of red Severums online in the States, but have yet to see one in Australia.  But it seems every gold severum I see being sold in Australia these days is being sold as a red severum.

Whatever they call them - thank goodness theyre here !

What a beautiful fish !

The old/existing lines of Gold Sevs were shit, shoulda kept breeding em and called em White Sevs

And where did the new Blue Sevs go?

Probably hangin out with the longfanny pepps?

The colour of Gold sevs isn't the same as Reds - i'm sure there are very nice red sevs here somewhere or at least have been before.
Golds are becoming a dying breed - literally
Reds possibly should be labelled red spotted? 

I think it is important to remember that a lot of pictures on the net are of prime examples in breeding colour. 

I have heard that the blues, reds and the rest are harder to breed due to stupid aggression.  Hence there are a lot of males around, but less females. 

Others who have kept and bred them would be interesting to hear from. 

Thanks,

Steve

8 hours ago, fishking said:

i have red severums for sale $75 dollars 5-6cm

Got photos of the parents?

Basically what I am saying is, every Severum I have seen labeled as a Red Severumin in Australia, does not look like a red severum.  The look like gold severums.  It's just that people are calling them red as red sells better.   

Heres a pic of  one of the gold sevs i was breeding 8 years ago....

A female gold , not real great is it, with a little green male.

But that was typical of the quality around back then with golds.

I meant to make a mission of improving my own line but didnt.

100_2986.jpg

6 hours ago, pk333 said:

Got photos of the parents?

Basically what I am saying is, every Severum I have seen labeled as a Red Severumin in Australia, does not look like a red severum.  The look like gold severums.  It's just that people are calling them red as red sells better.   

Really?? Must be looking in the wrong place... 

11 hours ago, borntobreed said:

And then i see a pic of THIS which was sold on here recently and i dont have a problem wiith them being called red sevs.

Just my lil ol opinion tis all

IMG_1045.thumb.JPG.153d36d4423f297485ea1850a0972a69.JPG

Now they look good.  And yes, I would call those red severums.

Do you have a link to the original thread?  I have done a forum search and can not find it.

get some more Darren, and go again, those old pics are great, you were very successful  at breeding fish and have a lot of knowledge the hobby is losing that  and its happening fast you only have to look back ten years at what was around and compare it to now  i.m sure that shed is still in the back yard, just don't go to big, keep it as a hobby  and enjoy

you da man, its in your blood , now go and do it

Awww shit scottsy thanks matey

Careful..... i cry easy these days

Yea i love referencing back to real photos, wish i had taken more.

I hope current breeders are keeping files of all their fish these days, bloody invaluable they are !

Yeah there's great coloured yellows and I guess there's shit coloured reds out there too. I like to think my reds do justice to the colour red considering they have never been fed colour enhancing foods.  If you can see pics of the parents you will have a good idea of what the fry will end up like and you can't really go wrong. But then again mine might just be extremely red looking yellows I guess it depends on who's looking at them. Lol

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

@lazybonezz those reds are amazing

here is my recent addition to my life , i thought it was a nice "Gold" 

The second pic is from her/him in the tank at the LSF, she is a touch paler at home but she would still be settling in i suppose (first pic with a couple of small friends) 

You can see i have sand which could make her a little paler, thinking of going back to a dark gravel  mix i  have for that tank 

As a side note, i read something about "Squiggle" is a way to tell male from female, does anyone know what that is about ?

Something to do with the markings on the head, it would be great if someone would explain that to me as i want to look for a mate for the Gold, i if could find a red like the ones in this post would be awesome, any ideas what he/she may be ?

Sorry if i have hijacked at all

Cheers 

Gold Sev 2..jpg

Gold_Sev.jpg

With green severums, males have squiggles on the face, while females have clean faces.

If it caries through with the gold severs, I'd say your large sev is a male.

I wonder if anyone has tried white crane colour enhancer as part of a red/gold sees diet.  Being an omnivore/vegetarian, I would assume they have a longer digestive tract, so in theory, white crane should work on them. 

Thanks @pk333

so looking at @Heintz.G picks from what you have said looks to be correct for golds too, not sure how you could tell with the pics of reds though

Can you have  golds, greens, blue etc in the same tank, should you worry about x breeding, if so would you get poor colour or just some fry of each colour 

Cheers 

Sign in to follow this