Nano

Building a pond in our frontyard

Hello everyone!  We wanted to share the build of our pond.  You might have already seen this in another aquarium forum we belong to but if you haven't here it is:

Project idea:

The pond is going in the frontyard that is going to be fenced somehow (maybe with a rough retention wall and plants, and maybe a short wooden fence in parts... the idea is to make it look as natural as possible so we'll see what we end up doing.

The property has lots of palm trees around the house, and there is an area that is like a little bushy forest. It is quite shady in there and looked like an awesome place to start the waterfall. The stream goes across the bushy little forest to end in the 600mm deep pond.  

We got some ideas from a company in america called Aquascape.  There's a company in Australia that trained with them and do the same kind of builds here in Australia. They helped us build this pond which converted our frontyard in our little oasis. This guys build natural ponds that work as an ecosystem and the photos in their website look awesome, if anyone is interested I'll send you the link.

Here are some photos of the project idea, and will follow soon with photos from the build stages.

Pond%20Project%20-%2001.png?raw=1
Pond%20Project%20-%2002.png?raw=1
Pond%20Project%20-%2003.jpg?raw=1
Pond%20Project%20-%2004.jpg?raw=1
Pond%20Project%20-%2005.jpg?raw=1

Hope you like :-)

Will post more photos soon...

Have a couple of depth levels. Keep in mind the sun heating the pond. Part of the pond should be 50-60+cm deep ( for thermal gradients and also for a safety escape - those blood ibis and cranes will live you) also can plant bigger potted plants, or a good gravel bed.

Shallow bit can have gravel too or just pots? 

What fish do you plan on having in it? 

Don't forget drainage. I built a pond and put in a hose fixture so you could top it up by connecting the garden hose ( also drain and mulm clean it) it also was diverted off to the top of a waterfall to topup the pond, ( water change or just to watch/listen to it ) 

Hello LD50ms222wobblyfish,

Not sure if your answer was to my post or if you replied to another post by mistake?

Our pond is already built and stocked :)  (Did you see the videos I posted?)

Our pond is 600m deep with 300mm terraces, substrate is river pebbles and rocks everywhere (even on the terraces), and now we added some river sand as well in some parts.  We had problems with cormorants eating our goldfish last year so we decided to do a few things to mitigate.  

1) We added lots of logs and submerged plants - mainly elodeas (potted for better control as they spread rapidly) and planted vals.  This quickly created lots of hiding spots and also helps with natural filtration.

2) We changed stock from goldfish (big and slow) for smaller and quicker fish.  In the second video you will see the stock we had at that stage.

Now that weather warmed up a little bit we changed the stock.  We added a big school of 80 angelfish and corys, but we also have few natives like rainbow fish, rhads, blue eyes, tandanus, etc...

I'll post a video update soon :)