Sign in to follow this  
Scott87

Snails in tank

Hey guys. 

Another newbie question. 

I have a billion snails in my tank. They just keep appearing. 

Well maybe not a billion, but there must be 4-5 big adult ones, and 20+ baby ones. 

It it doesn't bother me much aesthetically, but I read somewhere that they can produce a lot of waste and cause amonia spikes. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on inputs on pro's and con's? 

IMG_9948.JPG

IMG_9949.JPG

I personally hate snails in my tanks and will squash them as soon as I see them.

The main con is that any excess food and you'll have a snail explosion and they're annoyingly difficult to get rid of.

I've been told if you reduce the food and squash them as you see them, they'll eventually go away. Unfortunately any tank I've had snails in has exploded with snails and I've had to dismantle and dose with something to kill everything before reusing. 

personally i don't mind snails... although the tiny little pest snails can be unsightly if they have an explosion...

if you don't like them the best treatment is a natural one, put a few kuhli loach or if you have a decent sized tank... a clown loach or two. Clown loaches do the best job but a few kuhli loach will keep those snails in check as they eat them when they are small; just don't put more food in for them.

some snails like malaysian trumpet snails are a good one to have in the tank.

Sign in to follow this