sha

Native recommendation for my new pond

sha    1

I pulled together a bit of a rough pond this afternoon from an old planter box and some pond liner. I still have to put on some edging and do a general tidy up but I am pretty happy with it for now.

Substrate is some natural cleaned soil and propagating sand with a few aquarium rocks as well.

Plant life is a water lily from my bucket pond and some other aquarium plants I had lying around (crypt, val, banana lilly and something else I forget the name for).

Volume is around 460 litres. 

I am now looking for stocking recommendations preferably native, local and comfortable with Brisbane winter.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction gets my gratitude.

IMG_20170122_152255.jpg

Many choices - Empire Gudgeons, Ambassis Glass Fish / Glassy Perchlets, Hardyheads. If you want to do your bit to help an endangered species Honey Blue Eyes are an option - they are protected and can't be bought or sold however there are members on here in Bris that breed and may give you some. Another fish to consider Rhadinocentrus ornatus - only a matter of time before they too become endangered - some populations already wiped out. Don't catch in the wild - plenty of locally bred fish in SEQ. Just put one species per pond if using either of the latter.

sha    1
5 hours ago, none said:

Many choices - Empire Gudgeons, Ambassis Glass Fish / Glassy Perchlets, Hardyheads. If you want to do your bit to help an endangered species Honey Blue Eyes are an option - they are protected and can't be bought or sold however there are members on here in Bris that breed and may give you some. Another fish to consider Rhadinocentrus ornatus - only a matter of time before they too become endangered - some populations already wiped out. Don't catch in the wild - plenty of locally bred fish in SEQ. Just put one species per pond if using either of the latter.

Thanks for this it is a great list of natives I hadn't considered. 

In regards to the honey blue eyes and rhads whilst I would love to help increase the populations I would be worried that I would make a mistake and cause a reduction in their population. Unless they are fairly hardy and easy to breed I might leave it to the experts to manage. 

My plan has always been to under stock with just one species to ensure no cross breeding and to give plenty of room for schooling. Also I like having species specific tanks and plan to do the same in this pond (and the next and then the next after that).

5 hours ago, aquaholic99 said:

Are you going to cap the top edge (so you can sit) and cut off the excess liner? Strained overflow to stop fish escaping when it rains? Will the plants be your filtration?

Yes top is being capped this weekend (hopefully if I get time) and the liner has been trimmed properly since the photo. 

You can't see it but there is an overflow cutout on the side with the lilly however I haven't put in anything to strain the water yet. 

Filtration is a mix of plant life and a small solar setup I am just waiting on some parts for.

On 24/01/2017 at 11:53 PM, sha said:

Thanks for this. 

Funnily enough I have seen a number of your Life in videos before but hadn't seen your website.

Appreciate all the information.

12 hours ago, QldMick said:

thanks for the link to your website.

cheers

mick

cheers

I have good success with Crimson Spot Rainbows, Glassfish and Flyspecked Hardyheads breed really well. I have heaps of all of these if you get up this way (as well as Myrray Rainbows, but they are not in your catchment area and wouldn't want them inbreeding with Crimsons). I'm  near Toowoomba it gets below zero sometimes but often 2 -3 at nights so they would be fine in your area.