PurplePenguin

Catfish Identification

Hello all, I am hoping to get the help of all the catfish experts on here. I recently upgraded my tank and was given this guy with a couple of other bristlenoses. I was told he is a tiger pleco. I've been comparing him to the L002's and L397's and don't believe he is either. Any help would be much appreciated. IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5824.JPG

A lot of the time these types of threads are left high and dry.

Crosses, mislabelling or just the fact that there are too many experts with different points of view that lead to arguments.

Easier to just stay out off it and not give an opinion.

Nice fish by the way.

Thanks, I figured that may be the case. 

If he is a hybrid does that make him sterile???

I would like to sell him as I don't know if I'm giving him the best care but have no idea about pricing.

Any experts lurking around please don't be afraid to comment.

You can't reliably identify a species from a photo or series of photos. Sometimes it's not as simple as counting fin rays or the number of stripes. In some genus (pangasius for example), the number of gill rakes or position & shape of swim bladder is all that reliably splits a group and hybrids do blur these lines.  

Just as you can't identify a species from pics, you can't identify hybrids either. All you can do from photos is speculate. Asking for help and expecting help from photos is a recipe for disaster. However, Australia has already lost peppermint catfish and bristle nose catfish. Possibly orangespot and some whiptail cats as well. So continuing the confusion cycle isn't the end of the world unless you want pure species. 

On 08/03/2017 at 0:08 AM, aquaholic99 said:

You can't reliably identify a species from a photo or series of photos. Sometimes it's not as simple as counting fin rays or the number of stripes. In some genus (pangasius for example), the number of gill rakes or position & shape of swim bladder is all that reliably splits a group and hybrids do blur these lines.  

Just as you can't identify a species from pics, you can't identify hybrids either. All you can do from photos is speculate. Asking for help and expecting help from photos is a recipe for disaster. However, Australia has already lost peppermint catfish and bristle nose catfish. Possibly orangespot and some whiptail cats as well. So continuing the confusion cycle isn't the end of the world unless you want pure species. 

Humans aye, just can't have nice things 

Frenchy :)