Sign in to follow this  
Kendo

How to beat the heat?

Hi guys,

As I'm sure many of you are aware, Queensland has been scorching hot recently and Brisbane is set to hit 37 this Sunday. How do you plan to manage the water temp in your aquariums during this warm summer? I personally have tried using surface fans to facilitate more evaporative cooling, which helps reduce the temperature by ~2 degrees C, but the tank still can surpass 30. 

My tanks in the house are ok as air cond is on all day, have 2 tanks with pepp colonies in shed, have large fan lots of aeration and sponge filters running so far no casualties, temp has reached 31c in tanks, done regular water changes and light feeds.

Fans, bubblers and no lids are the easiest ways to control it. Nothing else i know of can really lower the temp dramatically unless you have a chiller.
I also have foam pads on the back and sides of my breeding tanks which i dont know how much it helps but peace of mind i guess. 

Im not a fan of frozen water bottles though as youre lowering the temp then removing it which causes fluctuation. 

1 hour ago, peter m said:

My tanks in the house are ok as air cond is on all day, have 2 tanks with pepp colonies in shed, have large fan lots of aeration and sponge filters running so far no casualties, temp has reached 31c in tanks, done regular water changes and light feeds.

It might be worth noting that the metabolism of fish scales with temperature, so as temperature increases so should their energy intake. Unfortunately, this does also equate to an increase in the frequency of water changes. I'm currently doing a 20% change every second day >.< 

I have not cut feed down just feeding little and often so can keep a watch on uneaten food polluting water in heat, also removed duck weed which was forming a cover on top, don`t know if it holds in heat but gone anyway.

Sign in to follow this