Hi guys, 

I'm curious about keeping discus and wanting to discuss do's  and don't' s of caring for these fish. I'm also keen to find a good breeder so any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks Jim82

Got some baby discus on Sunday off of a guy at Regents Park, he has beautiful tanks and fish, he bred the ones I got,  he only has small ones but I like to see them grow, if you want I can send you his contact number. He will give you relevant information on keeping discus.

13 hours ago, raycam01_au said:

@pk333

that bloke has to be the biggest turn off in the fishkeeping world, 

and that voice, 

only a mother could like that

tried to watch past him, but vomitted

lol

I used to put it on while I was doing water changes, and just listen to the video.  I can get past the voice and just listen to information.  

You don't have to agree with everything he says, but for a noob to discus, most of what he says is spot on.  Especially when he talks about what to look for when buying discus, water conditions for discus, quarantine and worming discus, and treating illnesses and injuries and medicating discus. 

7 hours ago, l2h said:

interesting viewing especially his views on water quality

Brisbane tap water is crap.  And it can vary from suburb to suburb.  
I filter my tap water through a standard two stage under the sink filter, and you should see how much crud is trapped in the 1 micron cartridge after 1 month. 

His views on water quality are shared by others in the hobby/trade/ichthyology.  Dr Anton Lamboj gave a presentation on West African dwarf cichlids and Malaysian bettas last year at a QCG meeting and he discussed water quality in the wild versus in our tanks, and mentioned bacterial counts, etc. 

Jock related fishy Question---- Whose had swamp nuts this summer ? Working with wet tanks and wetter undies,ha ha ,I know I have

go to the chemist and get some tinea cream it treats the red rash between your saggy old nut sack and your legs,works a treat,beats scratching all the time and explaining to the missus you haven't really got crabs ,it's just a rash honey I swear!!

Sign in to follow this