Sign in to follow this  
tomjerry

100% weekly water change? / Goldfish

Hello,
I've recently started a small 30 litre / 7 gallon outdoor pond with 4 Goldfish as pets for a 4 year old (common and comet).
I understand the nitrogen/biological cycle of  ammonia, nitritee and nitratee, then hopefully a 25%  water

change once a week while vacuum out the waste at the bottom along with adding conditioner to remove  chlorine / chloramine from the new water should be sufficient to keep them healthy....
They seem to be happy the way things are going but because of the sun the pond always has a bit of extra algae and waste in the bottom vacuuming etc. won't pick up...
So I was wondering seeing as the pond is above ground and I can easily completely empty it / clean it quickly and without any trouble would it be OK to do a 100% water change every week to keep it very clean? - I don't know a lot about this stuff but I'm wondering if I'm doing a 100% water change once a week does this clean the water before a bad amount of ammonia would build up?, therefore not making it necessary to have a nitrogen/biological cycle as the weekly 100% water change would remove the bad stuff the good bacteria is taking care of?
Of course if I did a 100% water change I'd use water conditioner for the chlorine/chloramine.
It would be simple to scoop the 4 fish with a net into a plastic bag with the pond water, then float the bag on the new pond water until the temperature evens out (they would only be in the plastic bag for 3 minutes while I drain/fill the pond.
Anyway just wondering if this sounds OK?, if it doesn't I can just live with my already cycled tank that's working with a 25% water change each week (although it doesn't keep it as pristine clean as I'd like it to look!).
Thanks for any info / advice.

I would to two 25% water changes a week say Monday then Thursday but have aged water on hand for water changes I would get a 60 liter bucket and fill it with water and leave it for two weeks then use that for water changes and de chlorinate the water and fix ph so its the same as the pond hope that heps cheers john doing a 100 % water change will mean u will have to cycle the pond all over again

First up, 30 litres is way to small, even for 4 small goldfish, because they'll out grow 30 litres.

100% water changes are safe if the water is aged and treated before hand.  

But you will have to do water changes more often than once a week.   

16 hours ago, johnbetta said:

I would to two 25% water changes a week say Monday then Thursday but have aged water on hand for water changes I would get a 60 liter bucket and fill it with water and leave it for two weeks then use that for water changes and de chlorinate the water and fix ph so its the same as the pond hope that heps cheers john doing a 100 % water change will mean u will have to cycle the pond all over again

Hi,

I think you didn't understand what I mean when you said I'd have to cycle again with a 100% water change. I'll try and explain / ask differently...

When I ask if it's OK to do 100% water change once a week for Goldfish, I mean is it possible to run the pond without it ever getting the chance to cycle?, my 'idea' is that if I do a 100% water change once a week the ammonia doesn't get a chance to even build up enough to be a problem?, therefore I don't even need a cycle because I'm keeping all the bad bacteria out with a 100% weekly water change? I'm not sure if my idea works, or if a weekly 100% water change would cause other different problems...

But user "pk333" has answered me already, it seems it should be OK to do a weekly 100% water change without making them sick / killing them.

Thanks

4 goldfish are unlikely to survive long term in 30liters....regardless of water changes

they get quite large....and are dirty fish

I'd suggest smaller fish....Natives, blue eyes and some firetail gudgeons or try endler guppies or White cloud minnows

All these would breed in Summer months

Add some floating plants...25% a week would be perfect for smaller fish ;)

12 hours ago, tomjerry said:

Hi,

I think you didn't understand what I mean when you said I'd have to cycle again with a 100% water change. I'll try and explain / ask differently...

When I ask if it's OK to do 100% water change once a week for Goldfish, I mean is it possible to run the pond without it ever getting the chance to cycle?, my 'idea' is that if I do a 100% water change once a week the ammonia doesn't get a chance to even build up enough to be a problem?, therefore I don't even need a cycle because I'm keeping all the bad bacteria out with a 100% weekly water change? I'm not sure if my idea works, or if a weekly 100% water change would cause other different problems...

But user "pk333" has answered me already, it seems it should be OK to do a weekly 100% water change without making them sick / killing them.

Thanks

I am sure it works 100% as you can search how asian breeders do their discus or betta