Ejek

New user with a new tank

Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker on a bunch of fish forums, and figured it's time I said hello.

I'm based south of Brisbane in the Gold Coast corridor. Planted tanks are my thing, and I've had as many as six running at some stages.

Just started a new tank two weeks ago and have had my first fish deaths, presumably due to new tank syndrome. Tank details are http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/ejek/5. So far 4 of the 5 guppies have died in about a week. I've never lost fish so early before on other tanks I've started up.

Water parameters seem ok, although temperatures are a little high. Will do another 25% water change tomorrow.

Wise thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ejek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the forum, good layout of tank parameters and pictures of tank, looks good maybe not cycled causing fish loss, could take up to 4-5 weeks to cycle an air stone may help, will add oxygen and break surface allowing exchange of gasses.

8 hours ago, Ejek said:

Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker on a bunch of fish forums, and figured it's time I said hello.

I'm based south of Brisbane in the Gold Coast corridor. Planted tanks are my thing, and I've had as many as six running at some stages.

Just started a new tank two weeks ago and have had my first fish deaths, presumably due to new tank syndrome. Tank details are http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/ejek/5. So far 4 of the 5 guppies have died in about a week. I've never lost fish so early before on other tanks I've started up.

Water parameters seem ok, although temperatures are a little high. Will do another 25% water change tomorrow.

Wise thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ejek

Your tank looks great, just forget your test kit and remember using Prime when changing water for a month, it will be all fine.

Your tank looks great, just forget your test kit and remember using Prime when changing water for a month, it will be all fine.

Thanks for the feedback - Prime has been my goto water conditioner for years.

Think tank is at my workplace (a school) and I'm using Rainwater. I've only ever used town water supply on previous tanks. So, even though there should be no chlorine in my water, I've used Prime anyway.

Will update in a couple of weeks once tank had had longer to cycle.

If you're on rainwater, how is the pH 8 ? Guppies want pH 7.4

What r u adding to raise the pH ?  Don't.

Gasping is a sign of low oxygen or poisoning. Was anything spayed around the tank, or something used in the tank, used for something else? 

The filter outlet can be closer to the surface or angled to ripple the surface for better oxygenation.

The temp might be a bit high esp if over many days, depends on the room its in. 30°c is OK for a couple of days but more than that will potentially kill the fish

If you're on rainwater, how is the pH 8 ? Guppies want pH 7.4
What r u adding to raise the pH ?  Don't.
Gasping is a sign of low oxygen or poisoning. Was anything spayed around the tank, or something used in the tank, used for something else? 
The filter outlet can be closer to the surface or angled to ripple the surface for better oxygenation.
The temp might be a bit high esp if over many days, depends on the room its in. 30°c is OK for a couple of days but more than that will potentially kill the fish

Not sure why the pH is so high, I'm certainly not going out of my way to raise it. I've got EvoComplete as the substrate which shouldn't be influencing pH that much.

I'm using an Aquel filter which came with media which I am using. The filter has ceramic noodles in the bottom, then a layer of zeolite, then little, plastic bioballs followed by fine sponge. The only element I've not used before is the zeolite - so maybe that's influencing the pH. Does anyone have experience with zeolite?

Temp has remained higher than I'd like, and the spray bar return is rippling the surface - but I'm not getting the kind of flow rates I want - certainly nothing like the rated 1500 L/hr.

Remaining guppies looked happier on Friday. So maybe we're just suffering some new tank syndrome.

Ejek.