Sign in to follow this  
Gavin1980

Canister Filters

Hi All,

I'm setting up a new 4'x2'x2' soon for large natives and a few plants and need to get a new canister filter for it.  I've only had Eheim and Via Aqua canister filters in the past.  It's been over ten years since I last had aquariums and things may have changed in filtration since then.  Back then Eheim was the best that I knew of and my old Eheim 2217 that I recently setup on my old tank still works perfectly now.  The Via Aqua was ok until the outlet hose gave way on the plastic pipe going back into the tank and drained by tank killing my nice large Jardini Saratoga.  I never really liked the design of it compared to the Eheim and after what happened with the hose I'm reluctant to use it again.  I wish all canister filters came with the hose locking nuts on the hose to pipe connections at the tank end like the ones at the canister end.  I'm currently using stainless steel hose clamps at those connections.

I have had a look around and seems like Eheim and Fluval are the top players these days.  There's also a new one called Ocean Free Hyrdra which I know nothing about.  What's everyone's opinion on the best quality, most reliable and efficient canister filter available?

Fluval is probably the best but depends on budget, Eheim are also very good, since I had flooded lounge (luckily did not lose any fish) I now use otto internal filters (paranoid).  My tank is 4 x 2 x 2 as well.

I use 2x 2000lph in 4x2x2 and tank is clean as, do need to clean sponges couple of times week but have quite a lot of fish in tank (very easy to clean, unclip filter canister and wash in tank water, leave power heads running) also have canister otto running on another tank, very old never missed a beat. Got otto internals from A.O.A browns plains, work out about $40 each with forum members discount.

Ehiem has a slower flow rating than Fluval but this is to give bacteria a long exposure time

Fluval has a higher flow rate and is designed for a more mechanical filtration

the other option is to run a sump

the main question is how much waste will your large natives produce as I'm thinking

some thing like FX5 or 2260 size would be were you start looking

I have spoken to a few aquarium shops who sell both Fluval and Eheim and sounds like either brand is good just depends on personal choice.  I do like that Eheim keep to a simple design which guarantees good filtration by having the media placed directly into the canister, which fills right up to the sides ensuring that the water can't escape past it like it can with baskets.  Provided you put the ceramic noodles and substrat in onion bags you don't have a huge task cleaning it.  l2h is right with the Eheim filtering better due to the slower flow rate, and means that a smaller size canister can filter more water compared to Fluval.  However, the FX4 has a lot of great features with it's smart pump technology and utility valve drain for water changes.  The Fluvals would probably work even better with substrat in them.  I would like to hear more about the experiences members have had with both, pros and cons etc.  The models I'm currently keen on is Eheim 2217 and 2260, and Fluval 406 and FX4.  I'm looking at keeping 5-6 large (25-30cm) fish in the tank along with a few real plants.  The 2260 and FX4 may be overkill and a waste of money.  I have been told by a few people that the 2217 and 406 would be more than enough.

I also see that Fluval have the U4 internal filters which filter tanks up to 240L.  Eheim equivalent is the Biopower.  Alternatively I could just use 2 of these instead of the canister.  Anyone used these?

I haven't used the eheim filters but have used both Fluval 405 and fx5 and can recommend both. I would definitely go the larger one over the smaller one tho, much rather overkill than just enough to do the job. No such thing as too much filtration in my opinion.

When I was keeping Africans I was running an fx5 along with an Otto pf2000 internal on a 4x3x1.5 with 50-60 10-16cm fish and never had any problems. By running the internal for mechanical filtration to get any large waste and cleaning it regularly you can cut down on canister filter maintenance significantly.

It's much easier to pull the Otto out and rinse it under the tap once a week than it is to pull a canister apart to do a big clean.

Also, any canister filter is only as good as the media you put inside it, I had marine pure and ceramic noods in my filters.

Well that's my opinion any way.

I have the fluval U4 and really run it as a power head / mechanical filter in planted 4ft tank (with two Aqua One canister filters - overkill but only allowed one large tank by ministry of finances so I overspend on it).

I don't think the U4s will do it imo. Check them out before buying for filter capacity is my thought. I find them easy to rotate to open to remove filter boxes for cleaning and the directional outlet is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to beat an FX6, as a plus they hold their value very well. A cheap canister setup for bio and a good internal powerhead for mechanical, is probably the most used combo in QLD 4x2x2. Depends how much your time is worth, for me the benefits of an FX6 outweigh the price within the first 6 months.

I'm looking for the best setup for least maintenance and best filtration for water quality.  Can a Eheim 2260 and Fluval FX6 provide enough mechanical filtration to not worry about installing an internal filter?

An fx6 would definitely provide enough mechanical filtration to not have an internal filter, but having an internal filter will allow you to extend time between canister cleaning.

For a me it's well worth the 5 minutes rinsing an internal sponge.

It seems that both will provide good filtration. Can anyone who's had experience with both filters provide advice on which one provides better quality fittings and has less problems with them leaking/breaking etc.

Has anyone with the FX6 had electrical problems due to being computerised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this