Sign in to follow this  
Kendo

Dry food for discus

Hi all,

I wanted to gather some opinions about the best all-round food to feed juvi discus. I had originally set my mind on Ocean Nutrition's Formula One but, Ive learnt that the company which produces this has changed hands and the quality has since declined. I'm now thinking about Hikari's Discus Bio-Gold but would appreciate some more experienced opionions beforehand. 

As a side note, my discus are currently vacuuming down frozen blood worms but Im trying to expand their diet to include beef heart and flakes. The beef heart isn't a massive hit at the moment, but there are a few nibbles.

Hi Kendo,

I'm not sure what product is the best.... but I use a wide variety.   Dainichi discus, Tetra tropical granules, NLS Grow when they are smaller (0.5mm pellets) and NLS discus formula (1mm pellets), Tropical Discus Gran D-50 Plus and spirulina flake.   I'm sure some of these products are probably better than others but I've always fed all my fish a wide variety... just personal preference I guess.   My theory is we don't eat the same thing everyday.

Cheers,

Jason 

They were asking about dry food john.   

Rotifers seem an odd suggestion when they have already stated they are eating frozen bloodworms so the juvi's have to be a reasonable size already to fit them in their mouths.   Rotifers maybe to small fry to wean off parents but BBS a better option.  Just my 2c.

4 hours ago, Kendo said:

Hi all,

I wanted to gather some opinions about the best all-round food to feed juvi discus. I had originally set my mind on Ocean Nutrition's Formula One but, Ive learnt that the company which produces this has changed hands and the quality has since declined. I'm now thinking about Hikari's Discus Bio-Gold but would appreciate some more experienced opionions beforehand. 

As a side note, my discus are currently vacuuming down frozen blood worms but Im trying to expand their diet to include beef heart and flakes. The beef heart isn't a massive hit at the moment, but there are a few nibbles.

I do not think that is correct with the Ocean Nutrition Formula One - it was apparently designed by Jack Wattley and has not changed. Who mentioned it had changed?

1 hour ago, The Tech Den said:

I do not think that is correct with the Ocean Nutrition Formula One - it was apparently designed by Jack Wattley and has not changed. Who mentioned it had changed?

I've seen chatter by multiple different users from other forums comment, for example

http://www.oscarfish.com/forum/fish-food-ingredients/1413-ocean-nutrition-ingredients.html

And a more current review: http://www.oscarfish.com/1-star-foods/250-ocean-nutrition-formula-one-flakes-ingredients-analysis.html 

I certainly hope that these comments/reviews are mistaken, as I simply just want the best food attainable for my disco-boys. 

One of the posts are 3 years old, the review is from over a year ago and they talk about fish solubles and quote. " Their formula has changed significantly. The primary ingredient is now "Fish Solubles" (used to be Salmon Fillets). "  It is really good your looking at getting the best for your fish. Big thumbs up but this is a photo that I just took of one straight off the shelf for you so you can see what comes off the shelf...I'm not trying to persuade you into Ocean Nutrition - I am just trying to give you the right information so you can make a good decision. 

20170309_163602.jpg

Edited by The Tech Den

My discus love Ocean Nutrition frozen foods.

My preferred brands are Ocean Nutrition and Tropical.  And Australian Blackworms.

Ocean Nutrition make a Very High Protein frozen food called VHP Formula.  I dice up the cubes to feed my discus.  

I also highly recommend freeze dried Australian Blackworms.  

Tropical make a lot of discus foods.  I feed my discus several of their foods, but two I would definitely recommend are the Spirulina Flakes and a new soft pellet they make.
http://livingreefaquariums.com.au/discusproducts/discus-food-en-3/tropical-soft-line-america-size-s/

http://livingreefaquariums.com.au/discusproducts/discus-food-en-3/super-spirulina-forte-flakes-250ml-50gm-our-discus-love-this-food/

IMG_0428.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 7.43.46 pm.png

I feed them Australian freeze dried blackworms but also feed them the pellet version as well because they can go in the autofeeder while I am at work. 

4 hours ago, The Tech Den said:

One of the posts are 3 years old, the review is from over a year ago and they talk about fish solubles and quote. " Their formula has changed significantly. The primary ingredient is now "Fish Solubles" (used to be Salmon Fillets). "  It is really good your looking at getting the best for your fish. Big thumbs up but this is a photo that I just took of one straight off the shelf for you so you can see what comes off the shelf...I'm not trying to persuade you into Ocean Nutrition - I am just trying to give you the right information so you can make a good decision. 

20170309_163602.jpg

Thanks @The Tech Den - I've put in an order for some! 

@Apistophile - I've read a lot of good things about FDBW, I'll have to try them out! 

I feed Australian Blackworms, good quality spirulina (tropical) Wild discus gran (tropical) and beef heart mix (homemade but roughly third beef heart, third fresh prawns and third fish plus extras). Rotate what is fed and I feed 6 times a day. I don't feed any bloodworm. I have tried some frozen food as mentioned in some posts above but have found them very messy.

Sign in to follow this