Christo

3000L sump filter......media question........

ok guys well im part way thru designing my filtration system for my new aquaculture setup,

the filtration setup will be housed in a 3x3 shed with 3 1000litre pallet water tanks used as sumps,

one of these will be located in the ground as the collection point for the tank overflows so the lowest tank can be at ground level allowing more tank space on stands,

there will be approx 6000-7000L of tank space, the actual filtration process will be via the reticulation of water from the collection sump up through the remaining 2 "filter towers" and back into the sump

the water will then be pumped back from the collection sump into the tanks and so on and so on

i will be using a 10,000Lph pump on the filter towers and a 20,000lph pool filter/pump on the tank return, there will be approx 30ea 6x2wx1h tanks

im looking for opinions on the design and the main question i wanted to ask is lava rock ok to use as filter media in the two filter towers???

will it alter my water parameters???

and would it buffer the ph???

should i add a 20kg bag of shellgrit to hold the ph steady??

and will lava rock tarnish my water??? (make it light brown)

it was reccomended to me and i can buy 1tonne of it for $280 so it would be cheap media if it will do the job.....

Cheers

Christo

no shouldnt alter water parameters lava rock is neutral

will it discolor the water yes initially as there is normally sediment hidden in crevasses so dont be surprised to see red water for a while

why use rock at all if you want to buffer use coral rubble or cal carb ora combination

for biological means id have thought there would be plently of suitable alternatives like that clay which is popular circular noodles and bia balls

peter

ps for the size your talking i dont think 20kg cal is enough i think youd need a heap of coral rubble

yes very very expensive atleast twice cal carb but its generally agreed it will act as a better buffer and last longer

for large systems i know of people who have used slabs of marble to buffer, I have never used it myself but if suitable you might have a chance of getting rubble reasonably cheaply

the advantage of coral rubble is it also acts as biological, because of the small holes and how porous it is it makes a great alternative to bio balls and is in my opinion as good as the clay

peter

yes very very expensive atleast twice cal carb but its generally agreed it will act as a better buffer and last longer

for large systems i know of people who have used slabs of marble to buffer, I have never used it myself but if suitable you might have a chance of getting rubble reasonably cheaply

the advantage of coral rubble is it also acts as biological, because of the small holes and how porous it is it makes a great alternative to bio balls and is in my opinion as good as the clay

peter

i thought about bio balls for 2.5 seconds then relized the cost of filling 2 x 1000 litre drums with them would be a fathomable task of great expense

Christo

lol your setting up a sump this size

dude try not to cut too many corners your going to be filtering an awful lot o f water there are good short cuts and then there are shocking short cuts

as far as bio balls theres a lot of alternatives available i know people who use gutter guard and the like

peter

I would also ask on the size of the lava rock? If its desent size chucks you shouldnt have to many problems.

Also remember that with a sump you have have build up around the edges and in the longer term a funneling affect to the centre of the sump, this is unavoidable, even with bioballs.

Just remember thats alot of rock to pull out and rinse.

Sounds like a pretty hardcore setup though, maybe mix it up abit, half fill one with gutter guard, other half with lava rock, other one with half bio balls and half lava rock.

As far as buffering your water, you could get away with pumping the water into one of the sumps at the bottom.

Point im getting at is make like a grid of spray bars at the bottom, pump it into there, and drop 3-4 bags of CC on top of it. Its always going to fall down and constantly turn the CC over and help buffer. Yea they will get clogged, but with a ton of water on top, and a few valves it wouldnt be hard to back flush it out every month.

Another idea might be to have a chat to DFishkeeper. I know he was trialing using a real fine grit in the bottom of a sump and making sure it was packed really tightly down so no oxy could get in. Then it would grow non-aerobatic (spelling) bacteria and help to remove nitrates aswell.

Just a thought.

Make sure you take photos and post them up, its always great to see someones system come to life.

Grum.

some awsome ideas here lad's, thanks for all the handy tips, hadnt considered gutter guard as a bio filter, great idea, the shower head thing would be great but i have to spread the water over close to 1m sq so rows of PVC with sprayers will be the go, i will have to work out some method of a fine basket type arrangment to hold shell grit that has a return flow from the filter towers running over it constantly to buffer the ph........will have to look into it some more,

i will definatly be taking photo's as i go with it all, it will be approx a 12month build process, i have to get a 2 bay shed erected for the tank room as yet,

its going to have grates in the floor for the returns to the filter room and i have been talking to another member on here and decided on solar heating which i will custom build a series of black poly pipe runners that will be fixed to the roof of the filter shed

(which is my current 3x3 garden shed) and it will have a slow recirculation pump to move the water through it effectivly heating the water,

and both the filtration room and tank room will be insulated so as to also reduce loss of heat from the water......

so far i have decided to only breed common B/N, albino B/N, and W/C blue dolphins, dedicate 5 tanks to each species for breeding and 5 tanks for grow out of each species.......all 6ft tanks

the system will pay for itself in 6 months or less

Christo

I use the castoffs from prawn trawler nylon nets as trickle media. It can be pressed or pulled into whatever open air space you want and is extremely easy to remove and clean. Plus it is free as they throw away industrial bins of the stuff. Some of my tanks are 10,000L each. Just lookup yellow pages. Adding some coral rubble is a good idea if you have hard water species.