Sign in to follow this  
Pineapples

How much flow for Multies

I'm trying to work out the best flow rate for my multies.

I have 15 in 120L with a large blue planet internal filter and a small Hopar internal filter to help move the water around for no dead spots.

I know they prefer low flow but I need to run the pump at full capacity to get filtration right and keep the water on the surface moving.

If I try to restrict the flow (putting extra filter floss in the filter) it doesn't generate enough flow to move the water on top of the tank so some of the food just end up floating around.

I've had them for about a month now with no luck spawning yet so any tips to help get them to spawn would be great too.

I've been doing lots of water changes 20% to try to induce spawning but no luck yet maybe I need to leave them alone for a while.

dddc4e3aa1a562e19a6d36d39457d17b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My breeding multis have near no flow.  Tanks are sumped with very minimum flow plus an air filter.  

Do you find with no flow you get some food that sinks to the bottom and makes a mess on the sand?

I'm feeding them Thera A+ sinking pellets and if I feed them full ones I found I was getting some that weren't eaten even when feeding them a small amount.

I'm using a pepper grinder now to grind it first.

yea there is usually a corner of crub but as there not display tanks it doesnt worry me. i use a 1mm pellet usually and then a brine shrimp flake when i notice fry.

You could add some mystery snails as a clean up crew... ? And if any die well.. then... you have extra shells!

I like this idea do multies tend to attack them? I've got a really big one in a planted tank but how would they go in rift lake Conditions?

I have had multi's for a long time. I never feed pellets of any kind. I feed Fluval cichlid flakes which I crush in my fingers as I feed.

When the female is ready to breed she will go a darker colour, you can't miss it.

I have a eheim internal filter but don't have it full flow, the odd small fry get it the filter but I can see it so let it out.

Be patient,, they will breed when there ready.

Multies finally have fry and they're out of the shell so they must've been in there a week or two.

3e2ed5411e1a09aa659b7a5e0f076967.jpg

Do I just feed them the same food?

Sign in to follow this