Sign in to follow this  
Kendo

Discus not eating/hiding

Hi all,

1 of my 10 juvenile discus has not been eating and hiding at the back of the tank for the last week. His colour is unchanged and in the rare instance that he comes to the front of the tank, he looks fine. It's been difficult to see if his poop is white, as I can never seem to catch him in the act...

I feed the fish a variety of beef heart, Ocean Nutrition Reef Flakes, Hikari BioGold and freeze dried blackworms. 

I do a 20% water change each day, which is RO water supplemented with a carbonate buffer (pH=7, kH=4) and Discus Trace (Seachem) and Stability (Seachem). The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate has always been negligible. 

Some of the other fish are growing very well and getting somewhat aggressive at feeding time. The "sick fish" being the smallest. 

Im considering doing a deworming (product recommendations?) but would appreciate any advice or similar experiences. 

Always good to deworm your discus.  It should be a one off treatment.  Quarantine new fish and treat in quarantine, otherwise every time you add a new fish you have to deworm the whole tank. 

Praziquantel, Blue Plante Fluke & Tapewormer is a good treatment.  

With discus, if they are young discus and you are doing daily water changes, I would be doing much larger water changes than just 20%.   

I'm going to increase the volume to 50%. @Apistophile - The video is crazy. 

I noticed this morning a small amount of poop coming from the sick fish which was dark in colour. 

Is it possible that the fish is healthy, but because the other fish are domineering in nature, it just hangs out away from the hustle and bustle?

I used to breed discus many years ago. There is always going to be one runt at the bottom of the pecking order. Some people deliberately use a crap fish just for this purpose. Or you can heavily over crowd to reduce the social heirarchy structure. 

Just thought I'd give a late update on this,

I decided to increase the water changes to 2x 30% changes per day; once in the morning and in the evening.  Initially it didn't seem to make a difference, but I wanted to ensure water quality was not an issue. After approx 1 month, the small discus had a sudden change in behaviour and has since turned into one of my best eaters and seems to be noticeably larger week-to-week. He's probably close to 10cm now (up from 5cm, at the end of March). 

Sign in to follow this