Sign in to follow this  
asxu

Some sort of algae / bacteria growth

Unfortunately don't have any photos thus far so it makes it a bit harder - will get some tonight however.

Have seen some strange growth on the filter and also the slate that is in the tank - it's a very deep orange colour, almost brown.. it seems to only grow on the slate and filter however. All levels of the tank are fine, except nitrite as the tank was never properly cycled and it's slowly taking it's time to properly level out.

Any ideas? :sweatdrop:

I sometimes get a fluffly orange type thing in new tanks as well. Particularly when the substrate has some sort of nutrients in it. It goes away soon enough on its own. But you can speed up the process buy sucking it out.

Pretty dreadful photo, but this is what it looks like:

bacteria_issue.jpg

Have noticed it's also growing on the glass - I don't have a proper algae cleaner, so unsure what to use to clean it off.

After posting photo in Live Chat, mangrovedave / japes / wonna have all come to the conclusion that it's rust from the iron contained with in the rock. Unfortunately am not really able to remove it as it's siliconed in place - so will have to look at getting a new tank!

algae does grow in may diff colours...?sumthing to think bout but sure you all have.

if it was more 3d then yeah whould deff say algae but could well be the rust from iron trace in the slate but this whouldnt grow on any thing but the slate.

It has started to grow all over the tank. I did approximately 30% water change and wiped down the sides using paper towel and it doesn't seem to have come back as much - still solid growth on the rocks though, it's almost covering them all.

Most of the time I have the blinds closed - it sits opposite a window, around 3m away. I've only just started leaving the blinds on however to balance out between natural sunlight and artificial light.

Sign in to follow this