Welcome to QLD Aquarium Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sparks

Guppys in outdoor pond NO heater?

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Anybody kept guppys outdoors over winter in Brissie with no heating?

Am hoping to grow all my females out this year in a pond.

Thanks 

How big a pond I had a 100l pond above ground over winter last year and there was a definite decrease in numbers but as soon as it warmed up the population was back.

mine died off over last winter. If you value them I wouldn't do it. Maybe just try a few and see how it goes. I just restock with a few from my daughters tank and now they're everywhere again

I have a big pond and my guppies do fine all winter. I am in Bundaberg so similar temperature to Brisbane.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Deeper ponds dont fluctuate in daily temperature as much as large volume ponds which dont fluctuate as much as shallow or small ponds.

At the start and end of brisbane winter, day temperature can be 30 degrees and night temperature can be 10 degrees. A 20 degree rapid change is hard for all fish,  cold water, cool water ir tropical.

I have salmon tail catfish outdoors. I use a heater set to 18 degrees at start and end of winter to stop the fluctuations and turn heater off once the weather settles.