Welcome to QLD Aquarium Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Delapool

Delapool's 150 gallon tank

8 posts in this topic

Thought I'd post this here for interest for those in QLD. Replanting a high tech tank at Easter hopefully.

74564-albums14486-picture71073.gif

Hopefully the picture makes sense. Looking at a tank re-do buying some more plants and using some existing ones. Any ideas welcome.

Thinking of a front hedge of narrow leaf Java Fern, back-Right side will be crypts mainly, back-Left side will have red and green stem plants. Back behind central ornament will be aponogetons (this is the flowing one I have that gets 2ft leaves). Around the central ornament - maybe some swords?

Trying to make this more plantation style rather than a jungle. Specific areas for each plant and not so crowded (hopefully). No fine leaf or plants that spread by runners (will miss the val but not the ambulia!). And less work as well (if such a thing is possible).

Same old tank (:( ) so 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft high and high tech light/CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam07 likes this

Found some spare root tabs in amongst the bags of ferts so planning to start re-planting this weekend and get the Java Fern front hedge sorted. And maybe shift the crypts.

unheatedtank likes this

Went off to shop to check out plants and came back with more than I thought. As usual I've got to go back to find out the names but did get some more crypts. Cleaned just about all the plants out of the tank, added root tabs and sorted through what I wanted to keep. Was going ok, tank a little murky but pretty quick on mainly getting the narrow leaf Java Fern cleaned up for re-planting.

The melon sword has taken a turn for the worse but left it in there in case it comes back.

74564-albums13177-picture71090.jpg

Then I thought I'd remove the crypt at back of tank I'd seen a leaf poking out. Turned out there there was a jungle at the back and almost fell into tank trying to get them and their long roots out of tank. This also made the water murky as clay tabs were pulled up.

Removed most water from tank and got the glue out to make sure some driftwood doesn't shift. Must of been several hours at this point. I used the gravel vac over the top inch of gravel and cleaned up a fair bit of muck so that was good to get rid of.

74564-albums13177-picture71091.jpg

Into re-planting. Mild panic that all the plants I wanted wouldn't fit in but I think ok. Managed to keep a small space for stem plants. The water was still pretty murky so I'm hoping it will clear tomorrow so I can see what I actually did.

74564-albums13177-picture71092.jpg

Decided I'll leave everything where it is for now. Run it as a bit of an experiment and see what grows.

Tank is still clearing. I adjusted a few plants and checked I left some room at back for more Aponogetons.

And it looks pretty boring.

Most of the Java Fern has cleaned up ok and should go fine as a front hedge. Hopefully will have some progress in a month.

Back:   Aponogeton Crispus.
Back: Bolbitis heudelotii (African Water Fern) - not sure I like this after all.       

Front:   Java Fern (narrow leaf).
Middle:   Anubias (Petite).
Middle:   Bucephalandra (Wavy Leaf).

Right:   Cryptocorine Balansae.
Right:   Crypts (assorted).
Right:   Melon Sword (if it survives).      

Left:   Crypts (assorted).
Left:   Ludwigia Reopens (Rubra).
Left:   Hygrophila corymbosa (Giant Hygro).
Left:   Marble Sword   

74564-albums13177-picture71097.jpg

Hmmm,

Old nitrate test - 5 (maybe 10)ppm.
New nitrate test - 0ppm.

(Won't throw out old test just yet).

Phosphate - 0.5ppm.

15/4-- The old nitrate test read 10ppm and new 5ppm while phosphates at 1ppm tonight. Looks like finally getting an increase in readings.--

Well, 4 days later and I've spiked nitrates again to 40ppm (maybe 80 since I can't tell the colours). Had been getting impatient but last time was the same. Nitrates wouldn't shift up, then they spiked and took ages to come down.

Tested the nitrate ferts in a test bucket made up just in case (they are just labelled EI) and definitely nitrates. So no nitrates dosing for rest of week :)

Having food nicked from under you? Could be a yoyo loach problem...

Can't grow delicate grasses? That would be the catfish rhinos.

511A35C4-B6F9-47C7-BE61-B0156654B733_zpslhmsahvz.jpg