Welcome to QLD Aquarium Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slipshodman

Sick Convict -Epsom Salt treatment - Help please

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a 300 ltr tank with a pair of Convicts , the male is large about 18cm long. ph7.0, Ammo 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrate about 10 ish (due a WC this weekend)

The last 3 weeks he has not got off the bottom of the tank, the female swims around fine with no issue 

I have continued water changes as normal every second week about 50%, the first week i treated with Tri-Sulfa just in case it was bacterial or something.

Anyway as i said three weeks on and all he does in lay at an angle in a hollow log on the bottom, occasionally he has a short swim but its like he has lead in his belly and cant really get off the bottom and almost drags his belly along the sand.

So i was going to try a Epsom salt bath considering it could be constipation ... i Had been given some food from the LFS by their suggestion and since i have had a look its basically protien .

So for a couple of weeks prior to this issue thats all he got fed, stupid i know i should have mixed it up.

Anyway , what rate should i have the epsom salt bath , i assume tank water plus ? epsom salt 

@none @aquaholic99 , or anyone else, you advice would be greatly appreciated 

Cheers 

i have googled and on average i am looking at 1x tablespoon per 10 ltr of water in the bucket for 15 minute bath

i will be going with that unless told otherwise

Cheers 

Addition:

So i went with the bath as above, he is quite lethargic , it didnt help and he is now in a smaller tank with his misses as she stressed when he wasn't there

he really seems like his body is too heavy to swim with ..not sure what to do next 

Sounds like his swim bladder is damaged, either by rapid temperature change or physical injury. 

I don't think epsom salts is going to do anything, it's more for fish that float. I would just keep the tank dark and see if he recovers. He may not make it, or he may survive without fully recovering. Might even make a full recovery - depending on how badly damaged and how tough he is. 

Best wishes!  

@Alibi - If i can land a pellet close to him he will swim (well kinda swim) to get it , i moved the hollow log that he has called home for the last couple of weeks to the smaller tank

It took him a while to find it as when i put him in the smaller tank he just lay half on his side in one corner (to be honest i thought he might be gone then) but next day he was in the log where he has stayed since

@aquaholic99 - thanks for the advice, no rapid temperature change has occurred so can only consider he has injured himself although nothing physically noticeable externally on his body.

I will just keep watching him and making sure he gets a pellet everyday and hope he comes good.

If there is anything else i could do for him please let me know.

Cheers 

Sorry  mate still dealing with cyclone issues here only just saw the tag - as Winston said sounds like swim bladder unlikely to 'heal' in the sense that it will revert back to normal swimming position.  Have you added small amount of salt? 

Thanks @none , no salt to the tank (but i will add some tonight) 

Its just a pity i cant do anything more for him but wait and see 

I hope all is well after TC "Debbie" Matt, sorry i didn't realise you were affected 

Cheers 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0