Shannon_lyon

AIR PUMP / AIR STONE NEEDED 24/7???

Hey guys,

I'm new to this website so not sure if this is where I'm meant to post?

Though I have a question in regards to my air pump and air stone/tube... I've got a 6x2x2 tank  and I'm wondering do I need to run an air pump/stone 24/7? Will the fish be ok if I turn it off over night? 

Ive only got 11x bristlenose ATM but I'm adding Africans shortly! Tanks only been running for 3 weeks...

thanks guys 

What type of filter are you running on the tank.

Why do you want to turn the pump off at night.

I always run my air pump just on low 24/7 provides a backup if my filter was to stop all of a sudden there would still be some oxygen flow in the tank.

Then get a new air pump I have a air lab 20 running my 6x2x2 and 6 x3ft tanks 24/7 and I then have a sump pump for my marine tank and it doesn't annoy me and the marine tank is on one of my kids wall and they sleep all night 

Depends what you use your air pump for. Are you using them for looks, run ornaments, etc?

If you're using them for extra aeration and your fish are not gasping for air or hanging around near the surface all the time whenever you're not using it, you should be ok.

If you're keeping lots of fish, don't have good water movement, or it's a hot day might be best to leave it on...

On another note it says your filter is rated at 500L. If you've only got one filter using stock media, monitor that it can keep up with the extra bioload as you add more fish.

Oh ok, yeah it's more for looks I think, it probably does help the fish I guess? I've got it on during the day and just turn it off at night, the last time I checked it said my filter was suited for a 750l tank which mine is 650l? I've also it crushed coral, noodles and foam in my filter.

Ive got the outlet facing the surface so it's defiantly moving the surface around...

Think you should be ok then, but monitor your fish just in case... Bristlenoses likes well aerated tanks from memory. In saying that, I've kept them for years in one of my tanks without an air pump.

Not sure if this will help but sometimes sitting the pump on a towel will make it quieter. Also if the air lines are kinked or air stone is blocked (over time), the reduced air flow / high line pressure (there's probably some great technical term) can make them noisey. I have mine for looks and it sits inside a cupboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The air stone helps oxygen exchange at the water/air interface.   This works by the bubbles bursting at the surface and breaking the film at top of the water.  Ripples from a power head or  filter outlet do the same thing.

Very little oxygen is exchange directly from the bubbles (they are in the water a very short time).

Point is, if your filter causes ripples on the surface of the water your air stone is probably adding little extra effect.

15 hours ago, Stevil said:

The air stone helps oxygen exchange at the water/air interface.   This works by the bubbles bursting at the surface and breaking the film at top of the water.  Ripples from a power head or  filter outlet do the same thing.

Very little oxygen is exchange directly from the bubbles (they are in the water a very short time).

Point is, if your filter causes ripples on the surface of the water your air stone is probably adding little extra effect.

- what Stevl said. I aim for as close to 100% surface agitation as possible. This old video is quite informative:

Importance of aquarium surface agitation