Sign in to follow this  
blasche92

Building rack help

How long is a piece of string? do it to whatever height you desire, but as a guide ensure you can get your hands in easy, you can get rocks and driftwood etc and filters, and again on the bottom, can you sweep underneath do you need access etc etc :) the one we just built is about 10 inches off the ground to allow sump height and about 7 inches in between tanks 4 tanks high

20 cm gap is sufficient if you want to squeeze more tiers in. Another trick (for seasoned fish keepers only) is to over hang your tanks 12 cm out from the rack if your tanks are only 38cm water depth. This effectively increases your gap/access as the beam thickness of rack disappears. 

Rack tanks end side in as you can almost double the tanks along a wall.

Bottom tanks 15cm off the ground to keep heat. Some finicky fish do get nervous down low but most growout fish don't mind. Any lower and the ground sucks heat significantly. 

Put some HDPE (plastic chop board ) squares under the legs of  steel stands to keep them dry. 

If your not trying to squeeze in more tanks, disregard all my advice. 

i did 160mm from the top of the tank to the bottom of the next tier, worked ok.  An i can get to the back of the tanks (2 feet) relatively comfortably.  I wish i have made the stand a little taller tho, its only a few cm's off the ground.  15 - 20 or more would have been better for the back :) 

How long is a piece of string? do it to whatever height you desire, but as a guide ensure you can get your hands in easy, you can get rocks and driftwood etc and filters, and again on the bottom, can you sweep underneath do you need access etc etc  the one we just built is about 10 inches off the ground to allow sump height and about 7 inches in between tanks 4 tanks high

Refering to your comment about how long is piece of string. It is the distant from 1 end to the center times 2.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

A good thing to take into consideration is how much access do you require to the tank. 

If you don't have large items in the tank and wont be continuously trying to scoop fish out you can allow as smaller gap as comfortable. 

As said above 200mm would probably be the smallest i would go without making the tank too uncomfortable to service. 

Sign in to follow this