Gilbaisland

Stainless steel pipes

I'm in the process of building a new tank ,where for various reasons the lines for the canister filter have to be fully exposed and was wondering if anyone is using stainless steel pipe for this purpose to make a bit of a feature out of them.

Cheers Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be hard to stop the corrosion even with freshwater. The quality of the stainless steel these days isn't as good as what it used to be. Maybe if it's for looks you could consider running pvc inside the stainless tubing.

I work with it but yeah you can buy them ready made and pretty good looking you can even buy the exact copy of a stainless steel ADA canister filter.

I've seen the ones for sale but nothing seems big enough to suit my tank. I need ones that are 70 cm deep, the longest one I could find was 35-40cm I think. Has anyone seen longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would need 316 grade stainless steel, to join have your bends TIG welded in place and passivised. being for that service you would have to purge weld and passivate post weld. 

To get a shop to fabricate this would be very expensive.

I would second base drilling your tank, provided you have enough height clearance for your filter. my 8ft is base drilled and i just painted the inlet and outlet tubes the same colour as the decor. 

Alternatively use pvc pipe and bends? 

im with stefan.jsp, i work in the marine field and you would really want to go 316 stainless, also when welding it, it would be best to get a marine company to do it so its welded with the correct stainless wire and not a lower grade otherwise the welds will rust slowly and ruin the look/system. This will be a costly way to do it but if done correct i think it could look amazing 

Really just depends on how much money you want to spend / if the cost out ways other options you might want to do