Jump to content
gingerbeer

QLDAF need to change this

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Seems to me the trend for on-line communications is Facebook.....

Forums can get hacked.....data lost, things change over time and history gets lost....I've been here for 5 or more iterations but I joined in August 2016???

I suggest all forums will gradually wither as Facebook becomes the place of choice for Newbies

Way to go Debbie Downer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking far forward,  what are the goals of this forum? Is there one person or a group of persons who know? Because if you don't know where you want to be, its impossible to know how to get there or when you arrive. 

I don't think aquarium sponsors get a good deal. So many professional but un registered back yard breeders, fish on- sellers and un sponsored shops and business owners selling publicly and less publicly but not very privately. A simple fix would be to get non aquarium sponsorship or remove all sponsors and charge subscriptions for forum access. (Or for trader section access). 

An over whelming majority of posts are "want to buy". Or "want to sell". Or " I need some urgent help".  If this is good for the forum then no changes are needed. However i suspect a lot of fish keepers come here to learn, share and help others to enjoy the hobby they love. Why are there so few old veteran fish keepers on the forum? Why don't the ones left post anymore?  

How many active members are there? Assuming one post in last 3 months is active? 

Don't try to copy or keep up with facebook. Whats the point of duplication?  Why can we LIKE posts but not un-like? Why cant QLDAF accounts get deleted?  Whats the point of a post count? I dont think layout has much to do with anything. Like everything online, the real problem is information overload or mis information overload. Someone with a small amount of information thinking they know everything without any accountability is a real danger. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggestions, not negative criticism below. Feel free to ignore or delete or modify everyone... 

There are  several distinct business forces (drivers) at play. Why not recognise this and treat them differently? Cant the forum be split up to handle these better?

"I need some help please" - Make this a separate forum area and desperate fish keepers that receive help can donate to the forum appreciatively and voluntarily as they see fit. Making it easy to donate and putting the proceeds back to the forum community transparently will encourage both help seekers and experienced advice givers to participate more readily. - One standout message I recieved as a founding forum member and mod/admin is that a sense of community is key to success. No better way to do this than arranging fish room tours, fish farm visits, social BBQs and collection trips. Any money raised should go towards market  branding (T shirts - hats - mugs - decals - etc) and worthwhile fish projects. I'm not talking about fund raising for the sake of rainy days but setting targets for worthwhile community ideas. 

"I want to sell my fish" - There are already multiple free sites to sell fish. Guntree, petlink, facebook, fish forums etc. The success of ebay shows how important seller reviews are. I suggest the forum charge sellers to advertise. This will weed out the fly by nighters which will hugely benefit the dedicated sellers. Good business is win - win so sellers will quickly realise the value of a screened selling platform. And unethical sellers can be removed which encourages buyers. 

"I want to buy/know something" is a powerful incentive and attracts traffic/visits. Keep the forum open read but registration to post (as it currently is). Having forum members share sourcing tips and ideas will bring more visitors and enhance the forum. Silent and long time lurkers may be more willing to post and help out if this aspect was made more obvious. And although local help & expertise is great, we have a lot of unique native fish here and litetally millions of international fish keepers. It wouldn't hurt to encourage reciprocal rights and cross link affiliations to international fish forums. And being more welcoming & tolerant of international and interstate guests 

"I want to share my ideas & experience & photos". So different from the other forum needs even though the same  fish keeper may use them all at different times. Why don't we just have one excellent Australian fish forum for this? If QLDAF is not very successful in this area then encourage our members to visit another forum that is. I often see some members posting exactly the same wording & images at multiple forums. Why? I'm not really sure. There isn't anything wrong with one forum being a standout for catfish species and another forum famous for fanatical fish keepers. 

And some parting words to consider.

Generally speaking - things that are free and easy to come by aren't as appreciated as much as things that we struggle for or sacrifice to achieve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe charging people money to use the forum is going to increase traffic.

I am on this forum every day multiple times a day and I love it, mainly because I don't have Facebook to chew up my time.

But if this became a paid site I can tell you that personally the first thing I would be doing is signing up to fb again.

Sure the people that are left might be more serious about their hobby, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would go looking elsewhere.

I would like to see a few more categories back in their own sub category like marine for example, but in general I like the current layout and don't see any need for an app as  suggested by some as it is very mobile friendly and easy to navigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Why do posts get Archived? I just had a look to see if anyone had responded to a WTB post in the Shrimp Trader, and it is now 'Archived' and nobody can reply. 

So am i meant to post again?

This kind of thing is probably the most disappointing part of the forum. Used to be able to find old posts and conversations, which made a great database and library, but so much has disappeared. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, anthryn said:

Hi,

Why do posts get Archived? I just had a look to see if anyone had responded to a WTB post in the Shrimp Trader, and it is now 'Archived' and nobody can reply. 

So am i meant to post again?

This kind of thing is probably the most disappointing part of the forum. Used to be able to find old posts and conversations, which made a great database and library, but so much has disappeared. 

Thanks

This is only for sales posts.  If a post has no action for a set time it is locked.  Moderators can unlock if asked nicely. 

Old posts and conversations are available for comment.  This is the facts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gingerbeer said:

This is only for sales posts.  If a post has no action for a set time it is locked.  Moderators can unlock if asked nicely. 

Old posts and conversations are available for comment.  This is the facts. 

Thanks for the facts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@anthryn how old was your shrimp post ?

the reason to lock out old posts would be to reduce the bandwith to keep your hosting costs in check if this is the same as most of the forums I've been in

but it comes down to age, traffic and the hosting parameters I suppose ............ only admin can confirm this

one of the other forums I'm on shows me there are 1099 pages in their single subject classified section

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, l2h said:

@anthryn how old was your shrimp post ?

the reason to lock out old posts would be to reduce the bandwith to keep your hosting costs in check if this is the same as most of the forums I've been in

but it comes down to age, traffic and the hosting parameters I suppose ............ only admin can confirm this

one of the other forums I'm on shows me there are 1099 pages in their single subject classified section

 

7 weeks ago. Here i was waiting and hoping someone would reply to my post, but never knew things get archived. Maybe if the admin gave people a warning that its about be archived. 

 @gingerbeer your blunt attitude is not cool. And just makes me want to not be a part of this forum if the people running it are just rude! And it seems you only listen to the same people suggesting things on here. So i won't worry about suggesting anything else or "asking nicely" for any help. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to bring some clarity to this...

Posts in any of the trader sections will archive when 45 Days have passed, without a reply to the thread.  This was to prevent people googling " [insert-species/plant-here] for sale" , and bumping up extremely old threads which there had been some issues of in the past.  We also had requests about "auto-closing" threads to prevent sold items being zombied up. 

People selling in the trader sections are encouraged to bump the thread once a month if they are still selling the item(s) or haven't been successful in moving their item(s) on.

I'm all ears if this 45 day limit needs to be longer.  I actually mentioned this last year in another thread (see below quote).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, anthryn said:

7 weeks ago. Here i was waiting and hoping someone would reply to my post, but never knew things get archived. Maybe if the admin gave people a warning that its about be archived. 

 @gingerbeer your blunt attitude is not cool. And just makes me want to not be a part of this forum if the people running it are just rude! And it seems you only listen to the same people suggesting things on here. So i won't worry about suggesting anything else or "asking nicely" for any help. 

Thanks

@anthryn,  I apologise if my tone was harsh. 

There is a long history of moderators being accused of deleting posts here.  The main place this has been an issue has been offtopic, where we allow a great deal of latitude, and sometimes a thread is removed to allow the topic to be reset and conversation to continue.  We respect members posts. 

Moderators are just people who are fish hobbyists here.  We have jobs outside, and families like everyone else.  The effort to say please is not too much to ask IMO. 

After 7 weeks your posts would not be seen.  If you bump your post, it will not be locked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used to love deleting shit apparently but then I didnt give a FLUCK still dont but ima fish lover not a fighter, 

 

i stand by my very very earlier statement about

 

Fishheads

 

 

 

 

im norty ;)

 

 

but honestly just trying to make this post stay alive, like all the other posts 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do the old posts go then? If they are not being deleted by mods, and not being archived to areas we cannot search....  then is the forum losing old posts? I know we have lost certain amounts of data before at set points but there does seem to be a lot of missing posts/threads.

 

I say this because I often go to look back at old threads and they are gone. As a recent example, I remade a thread on DIY rocks that was lost in some weird update. But the remake is now gone. Where I dunno. But I didn't hallucinate remaking it. Who cares really, but just thought it was a shame that it too was gone.

 

Anyways life goes on

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2017 at 4:24 PM, ex0h said:

Just to bring some clarity to this...

Posts in any of the trader sections will archive when 45 Days have passed, without a reply to the thread.  This was to prevent people googling " [insert-species/plant-here] for sale" , and bumping up extremely old threads which there had been some issues of in the past.  We also had requests about "auto-closing" threads to prevent sold items being zombied up. 

People selling in the trader sections are encouraged to bump the thread once a month if they are still selling the item(s) or haven't been successful in moving their item(s) on.

I'm all ears if this 45 day limit needs to be longer.  I actually mentioned this last year in another thread (see below quote).

 

 

Perhaps the trader threads could be locked but still show up in the search. Or have a second option to search archived threads only. That way if an item is not sold after the 45 days members could search the item and contact the seller directly.

I personally think there is nothing worse than someone commenting on a year old trader post and have it bump back to the top because someone found the post and wanted to see if it was still available or the seller had any more.

This just clutters the genuine items for sale.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And having the thread closed leaves it open to be reopened by mods if the seller contacts them to let them know the item is still for sale. Sounds like a better idea to me. Maybe deletion of a year old closed thread to keep the (memory) *insert technical term here* free? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Cam07 said:

Good to see the marine section getting filled with lightening speed after all the whinging that it needed to be back,  

Change does not happen overnight.  It takes time.  People need to see and believe that they are listened to and changes are happening.  Change does take time to make It lasting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×