gingerbeer

QLDAF need to change this

I want to hear members views on what needs to change to preserve this place.  The history here is long and deep. 

I have some thoughts, but value members thoughts. 

Facebook is facing challenges with the changes to sales rules.  We need active members, mods, sponsors and admin in my view. 

If you want to send me, Exoh or webmaster a PM please do. 

Yea i agree with @LD50ms222wobblyfish was so easy to see whats happening on the forum and made the forum feel more active as well. 

We need more active members. I remember when i first signed up here i think it was 2010 or 2011 and it was pumping. Was amazed at how busy the trading section was aswell. Could always find a bargain! 

Just my 2c

A while back someone started a thread saying how quiet the Forum was.

42 people replied and said more or less yep it is.

If those 42 people had of started a thread of their own and say reintroduced themselves and their tanks or whatever and got some replies the Forum would have been a lot more active and become more than just the ho hum buy and sell it is now.

So get writing. I'm on my way into town now but will write something later today when I get back at the risk of boring everyone senseless.

So have a go . . . knock up a new newsy thread.

As a long time member but by no means and expert I would have this forum open at work all day just to keep an eye on discussions and sale posts etc. Now it seems people get shot down for asking what some of the experts here consider stupid questions and this site has become know as the place you sell crap you can not sell else where. I go days without even looking these days.

How can you attaract new members if they cannot ask the stupid questions we all had the same questions once.

Before I get shot down here is a recent experience of mine with this site. I posted some fish for sale with an asking price of $8 a fish several people contacted me from the site and offered $3, $4 $5 a fish for one or two fish and got offended when I said no deal. Posted on another unrelated Facebook forum for fish and sold over 100 fish in a week or two at asking price or negotiated discount for bulk purchases of 10 or more fish. 

Sure I don't expect to list a common guppy etc and get aquarium store prices or have poor quality fish and expect top dollar but it seems a lot of people here only want to buy a fish if it is ridiculously cheap so they can then make a profit on selling.

I have a full time day job and fish breeding is my hobby. I figure what goes around comes around I am happy to pay a reasonable price for quality fish as I expect a reasonable price for the fish I sell. I know reasonable is subjective but if a person lists an item for x dollars and you offer them half or a quarter of the offer ( which is your right to do if you feel that is a fair price) and they say no walk away don't get offended they refused your offer.

You just have to look at a few of the other Facebook fish fourms that have popped around the country up in recent years where a high quality betta or goldfish can sell for $50 or $100 a fish people are happy to pay if they feel it it a good buy for them.

On a side note while I am on my rant Facebook forums are hard to keep track of when you can not watch them all day and a forum format like this is so much better to drop into at the end of the day and see what has been posted or discussed so I do hope this forum can continue in some form.

End rant.

We live In the year 3017, Cud we not have an qldaf app?? If erry member here takes out there tin cans and chips for the app or even pay 10 buks a year a month or a quarter??   Or a one off to help our QUEENSLAND FISH FORUM! 

the way I see things,  qldaf is our jobs as Queensland's fish hobbyists to keep alive or it will die and perish to other mediums and websites with more traffick... I do not want to one day click online and see the message..  Sorry qldaf had shut down due to low traffick and usage and is now obsolete compared Gumtree.

Just like state o origin mate!! U gotta root for ur hone team braah!  Qldaf I play for. 

Keep the thought going.

I think we can do breeders section better.  I am thinking it should be more select...  based on years quality. 

For years of you wanted quality fish you went to auctions, and went to this forum.  Now lots of people claim to be quality on Facebook, and the quality is not always there.

If you sell dud fish on qldaf your history is there for people to see.  if yo sell quality fish the same.  You cannot simply change your name and keep doing the same thing on this platform as you can on others.

The stats say many people visit and don't post.  how do we encourage people to post.  I agree with the sentiment that people need to be able to post, no their input is valued and their question will be answered.  we all started somewhere and need space for beginer questions to be answered. 

Certainly if every visitor posted the number of posts would be staggering.

Thanks,

Steve

10 hours ago, aussieorchid said:

As a long time member but by no means and expert I would have this forum open at work all day just to keep an eye on discussions and sale posts etc. Now it seems people get shot down for asking what some of the experts here consider stupid questions and this site has become know as the place you sell crap you can not sell else where. I go days without even looking these days.

How can you attaract new members if they cannot ask the stupid questions we all had the same questions once.

End rant.

True and it may be too late!

The once large aus marine forum did the same things to people and are surprised that its failing now, I am not! The amount of "we are too good to fall behind" ways of thinking showed on there was amazing. They would band together to pick on folks that were bad at spelling and not help with what they asked, to me that's plain retarded, anti social, moronic, stupid and a death sentence to their forum, now its dying a slow death! 

Prevention of bullying and ego trips was not thought of on here a bit and on theirs a lot!! Hopefully this forum will stand the test of face book and instagram and so on, but until the morons on the marine forum are gone, theirs wont!

I use Tapatalk - I know the website changed a fair bit but on Tapatalk I can see new posts fairly well. So just for me the software is fine.

I don't use the classifieds section and some days feel like I'm just scrolling over people buying and selling. I know people like reading these but not interesting for myself. I can check out gumtree for that.

I really love reading about people's tanks and would like to see that encouraged - basically general discussion on tanks chewing the fat. I'm not sure on ease of posting photos here as use photo hosting sites but hopefully that is easy.

People have to be really comfortable about sharing the good / bad on their tank, maybe something isn't ideal but at least it starts some conversation. People I've talked to do find threads interesting so for OPs, even if not many replies - I'm sure people are reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharing and posting pictures is easy

have a picture on your computer?

underneath this little writing it says Drag files here to attach, or Choose Files...

click choose files ;)

locate on your computer and bang u are there, you will see your picture located on the bottom of your message box

even a trained monkey could do it

watch

201201021230067659771.jpg

A shame that the last few times this thread was created, it was deleted.......  because all those people who contributed to it are pretty much gone now. Unless of course it was just moved to a mod subforum, in which case I would say go read those threads. A lot of effort went into constructive feedback on them. Effort that was casually discarded. If people feel their content can just be snuffed out in a second at the whim of any of the mods here, why would they bother putting effort into it? I remember putting effort into explaining why it was unlikely we could fix the Ellioti blood lines here by going into detail on my own efforts over several generations, only to have the thread removed by a mod who was selling them and didnt want to hear it. Certainly learnt me a lesson. You can't only value our content when its gone. Theres my 2 cents. I invested a fair amount of time here 20,000+ posts, much of it trying to help people having problems in the hobby. And yet my input on how to keep the forum pumping was considered "trouble making" and just deleted. Those threads had similar view counts to the most popular threads the forum has ever had (eg giant gourami billabong), and had pages of posts. We gave our suggestions when it mattered. Asking now.... you aint gonna get the answers from the people who are gone.....  its not very logical.

One thing I never liked on this and other forums was the ranking system. 

People could get to be senior members by replying to each post with "nice fish" or "yeah" and in reality not have much knowledge of fish keeping.

Then newer readers not really in the know would tend to give more credence to more senior members based on the ranking rather than the quality of the input.

9 hours ago, Cam07 said:

I don't have Facebook but I do have coconuts gilligan did cool things with coconuts

you might not, but 2 million others do, that's a large group of folks to ignore. Most young folks have no idea of who gilligan is, you need to keep up or this forum like many others will die.

7 hours ago, Donny@ageofaquariums said:

A shame that the last few times this thread was created, it was deleted.......  because all those people who contributed to it are pretty much gone now. Unless of course it was just moved to a mod subforum, in which case I would say go read those threads. A lot of effort went into constructive feedback on them. Effort that was casually discarded. If people feel their content can just be snuffed out in a second at the whim of any of the mods here, why would they bother putting effort into it? I remember putting effort into explaining why it was unlikely we could fix the Ellioti blood lines here by going into detail on my own efforts over several generations, only to have the thread removed by a mod who was selling them and didnt want to hear it. Certainly learnt me a lesson. You can't only value our content when its gone. Theres my 2 cents. I invested a fair amount of time here 20,000+ posts, much of it trying to help people having problems in the hobby. And yet my input on how to keep the forum pumping was considered "trouble making" and just deleted. Those threads had similar view counts to the most popular threads the forum has ever had (eg giant gourami billabong), and had pages of posts. We gave our suggestions when it mattered. Asking now.... you aint gonna get the answers from the people who are gone.....  its not very logical.

If the text/thread is not insulting, overly swearing or denigrating to folks and so on, taking threads out of sight or taking it away entirely takes away this forums google search results and takes away possible new members.

Peoples feelings have to be protected big time or they leave, but much of anything else should be left as search results.

58 minutes ago, vsimo said:

One thing I never liked on this and other forums was the ranking system. 

People could get to be senior members by replying to each post with "nice fish" or "yeah" and in reality not have much knowledge of fish keeping.

Then newer readers not really in the know would tend to give more credence to more senior members based on the ranking rather than the quality of the input.

yeh I agree, maybe a ranking like forum member, then medium term forum member, then long term forum member maybe, just so it has no indication on if you are in the know at all.

A few keys to a stable group and or business:

They all respect each others idea's and support a greater decision:

They all understand the group's vision and direction:

They are dynamic yet hold their core values:

They create a feeling of ownership\belonging where the group\people actually buy into the ethos.

If a 360 deg was done here, it would be left wanting in all areas.

I know a few breeders that have just stopped breeding and coming onto this site just because of life eg work or health (or the power pills)all I have how is 10 tanks from 40 that I play around with nowadays 

13 hours ago, Donny@ageofaquariums said:

I remember when i first signed up here i was brand new to keeping fish and you actually helped me alot along the way at the start with ideas and tips! I think at the time you were under a different account, cant remember was like 5-6 years ago.  +1 to you donny!