gingerbeer

QLDAF need to change this

Yeah the layout changed killed this site sadly , only thing easier now is sharing pics .

facebook was there before the changes so I don't think it's to blame 

sad this used to be where it was at , but not so much these days, I still use this site and post 

won't stop supporting it :-) 

Blame for the forum slowing down has been flogged til it's dead.  The only reason it has slowed is because people have stopped posting.  Why people stop posting is an individual thing, and most of it would be down to they are not getting what they want.  Don't get what you want and you loose interest simple, I don't see competitions helping I reckon you  got to give the people what they want.  What they want will be different for all of them but maybe lessons could be learnt from the way it was, what's changed and try to reverse it

it's started by changing the layout, now just got to try to and get some of the older members back posting 

47 minutes ago, Cam07 said:

Blame for the forum slowing down has been flogged til it's dead.  The only reason it has slowed is because people have stopped posting.  Why people stop posting is an individual thing, and most of it would be down to they are not getting what they want.  Don't get what you want and you loose interest simple, I don't see competitions helping I reckon you  got to give the people what they want.  What they want will be different for all of them but maybe lessons could be learnt from the way it was, what's changed and try to reverse it

it's started by changing the layout, now just got to try to and get some of the older members back posting 

I want competitions back :( 

52 minutes ago, Cam07 said:

Blame for the forum slowing down has been flogged til it's dead.  The only reason it has slowed is because people have stopped posting.  Why people stop posting is an individual thing, and most of it would be down to they are not getting what they want.  Don't get what you want and you loose interest simple, I don't see competitions helping I reckon you  got to give the people what they want.

I think you've nailed it to a degree.  I know half a dozen breeders that have up and sold their setups and moved on.  I've also reduced my own tank count from around 30 at one stage to 1.  Life changes happened, power bills sky rocketed and other things in life became more important.  Lots of people just don't have the disposable income anymore to throw around, and therefore they tend to move onto other things in life.  We can't control that and I highly doubt a software change has pushed away that many people.

What I found interesting when we changed the forum software, there were lots of positive replies.  A couple mentioned they didn't like it, and to me, it seemed like a few people jumped onto that bandwagon.

We were a couple revisions behind in versions on the old forum software.  Updates had been attempted, but there was some road blocks we couldn't clear.

49 minutes ago, Cam07 said:

Regarding the Layout, can you be a tad more specific? ie. Combining certain forums or the theme and software change?

19 minutes ago, raycam01_au said:

omg next day no likes again wtf

i dont like

SHit.PNG

This is a membership group setting... it can be changed.  I just don't know what to change it to for you "like spammers". :P

Just now, ex0h said:

This is a membership group setting... it can be changed.  I just don't know what to change it to for you "like spammers". :P

I cant even like your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that sux

I like spam its like meat in a can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like fish too

and dont wanna see this place die

so trying my best not to let it dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

even with HAM IN A CAN CALLED SPAM

8 hours ago, ex0h said:

Regarding the Layout, can you be a tad more specific? ie. Combining certain forums or the theme and software change?

The I couldn't give a tinkers toss about the layout to be honest but the  layout seemed to cause a lot of people to get upset for some reason so if there is something that is so upsetting it may encourage some back if it is just a simple change.  I wasn't overly happy when off topic was changed as it made the forum feel far too serious and I've lost a lot of interest in it

but on a positive losing interest in the forum has allowed me to mow the lawns before going to work

finally I think the sponsors need to be asked their opinions on what's wrong because without them paying sponsorship there will be no forum and 2 sponsors have gone in the last 12 months.  Surely they are going to come to the point where they ask the question what are we getting for our support

While doing some whining my biggest problem with the forum as a whole is how long each page is it may be because I have an iPad or zero computer knowledge but it takes ages to load and some if there's lots of pictures I just have to give up because it won't load.  It may not be an issue to anyone else on this planet and is really only an inconvenience 

6 minutes ago, Cam07 said:

While doing some whining my biggest problem with the forum as a whole is how long each page is it may be because I have an iPad or zero computer knowledge but it takes ages to load and some if there's lots of pictures I just have to give up because it won't load.  It may not be an issue to anyone else on this planet and is really only an inconvenience 

Unfortunately thats not the forums fault. 

I am gaining a view:

1.  Support for the new hobbyist.  We need a space where new members can ask questions and gain answers without fear of the answer. 

2.  Breeders section.  We need a space where we can know that you are buying an above average fish.  This also helps keep value for the above average fish for the breeder acknowledged breeding quality.  This has some questions in how do we consider and award the rank? 

3.  Involved sponsors.  We need sponsors who value QLDAF and want to support it.  Be it by competitions or otherwise. 

4.  Layout.  @exoh has already addressed issues, and indeed we have got the best technical platform thanks to him.  We already have changes to latest version with benefits such as picture posting is easy, and he has addressed some of the issues raised.  We need to keep addressing concerns. 

5.  Offtopic section.  Reading between lines, I hear issues.  When we lose the humour, we lose the fun.  Hobbies are meant to be fun.  This is always a difficult area.  Off topic in other sites have dealt by removing discussion of religion and politics.  I think there is no off topic left.  We previously let it go until it got too far, removed post and let it start again.  This means people complain about posts missing and scream conspiracy.  So we hid off topic too allow more freedom.  I do not think it is working. 

6.  I have heard previous about some sections merged and note particularly the marine and natives section.   I do not want to return to too many sections but think this need consideration.      

I note a few posts about people leaving the hobby, and costs and age can see people move on.  As a general statement we need to support the new, and ensure they are introduced to the history we have here as to quality, and fairness. 

Any forum is in the hands of members, so if you want life in the forum, post.  If you have concerns contact @exoh or myself.  We have removed all mods to reset the forum, not due to any action they conducted, but to clear the decks and allow a new start.   

Keep the feedback coming and I will say more once exoh and I have spoken further and to some of the others.  Expect changes. 

1 hour ago, gingerbeer said:

I am gaining a view:

1.  Support for the new hobbyist.  We need a space where new members can ask questions and gain answers without fear of the answer. 

2.  Breeders section.  We need a space where we can know that you are buying an above average fish.  This also helps keep value for the above average fish for the breeder acknowledged breeding quality.  This has some questions in how do we consider and award the rank? 

3.  Involved sponsors.  We need sponsors who value QLDAF and want to support it.  Be it by competitions or otherwise. 

4.  Layout.  @exoh has already addressed issues, and indeed we have got the best technical platform thanks to him.  We already have changes to latest version with benefits such as picture posting is easy, and he has addressed some of the issues raised.  We need to keep addressing concerns. 

5.  Offtopic section.  Reading between lines, I hear issues.  When we lose the humour, we lose the fun.  Hobbies are meant to be fun.  This is always a difficult area.  Off topic in other sites have dealt by removing discussion of religion and politics.  I think there is no off topic left.  We previously let it go until it got too far, removed post and let it start again.  This means people complain about posts missing and scream conspiracy.  So we hid off topic too allow more freedom.  I do not think it is working. 

6.  I have heard previous about some sections merged and note particularly the marine and natives section.   I do not want to return to too many sections but think this need consideration.      

I note a few posts about people leaving the hobby, and costs and age can see people move on.  As a general statement we need to support the new, and ensure they are introduced to the history we have here as to quality, and fairness. 

Any forum is in the hands of members, so if you want life in the forum, post.  If you have concerns contact @exoh or myself.  We have removed all mods to reset the forum, not due to any action they conducted, but to clear the decks and allow a new start.   

Keep the feedback coming and I will say more once exoh and I have spoken further and to some of the others.  Expect changes. 

Spot on and well said!

For me it's the fun side of it, to me even if people sell up they still maintain a slight interest and if it's still fun they will hang around. When I started on here I had no fish for quite a while I now have a few but due to rising costs it will soon be cut down to less than a few but if there is fun will stay about

Have not really posted in this forum in a very long time. Been a member since 2010, I browse every few months and rarely post, I guess the lack of activity keeps me from coming back (which admittedly I contribute to).

Main things I enjoy in these forums is checking out peoples big tank setups and getting tips and seeing new techniques for filtering, lighting and what not. Or people's pics with rare and interesting fish. But I guess a lot of people dont even want to post their stock-list as fish we are allowed to keep here is pretty restrictive so they want to keep it too themselves and not invite unwanted attention (not that I am advocating keeping illegal fish), but I love looking at peoples pics if they have massive cichla, arowanas, saratogas, datnoids, giant gourami etc etc. Makes me even more excited about the hobby. I am not a snob or anything, but I like what I like.

I guess I will try to make more of an effort looking at the general and project subs and try to post/comment more. Might even post up recent pics of my tank if I get more exciting fish I feel people would like to see, but I cannot take a decent pic of my tank to save my life.

On a side note, what happened to users signatures, did we not use to have signatures appear on each post? If there was a big change and announcement I have missed it.

Overall it is a good community at QLDAF, and glad I have been a part of, but just like the majority of people here life just gets too busy, so my time spent on the forum gets less and less. (I am doing this at work, which I shouldn't). I am just glad I have got my big tank set up now I dont have to spend any time on it, the only maintenance I really have to do is change 2 filter socks every 1-2 weeks and clean the glass, most of that work and knowledge to achieve that setup was learnt in forums such as this one. Just like every few months when I want to do a complete overhaul on the tank ie add an extra sump, change the lighting, put everything on timers to automate everything, re-plumb all the sump returns....all the stuff that costs lots of money and time that the partner hates, but I am thankful for forums like this and the community who are usually happy to help.

Seems to me the trend for on-line communications is Facebook.....

Forums can get hacked.....data lost, things change over time and history gets lost....I've been here for 5 or more iterations but I joined in August 2016???

I suggest all forums will gradually wither as Facebook becomes the place of choice for Newbies

49 minutes ago, Rod said:

Seems to me the trend for on-line communications is Facebook.....

Forums can get hacked.....data lost, things change over time and history gets lost....I've been here for 5 or more iterations but I joined in August 2016???

I suggest all forums will gradually wither as Facebook becomes the place of choice for Newbies

That's why I reckon it's of importance to get our Facebook presence up, so then we can capture the newbies floating around on there and bring them here for the detailed and important information, not three million posts in a group asking where to buy electric blues.

1 hour ago, Eric A said:

That's why I reckon it's of importance to get our Facebook presence up, so then we can capture the newbies floating around on there and bring them here for the detailed and important information, not three million posts in a group asking where to buy electric blues.

Or the other hundreds of posts asking where they can find dovii or umbees haha