Sign in to follow this  
QldMick

big crayfish

Time to re-liven this thread!

Can anybody recommend a good commercial source of Red Claw craylings near Gympie?

#1 Daughter is trying her hand (foot?) at aquaculture in a couple of dams on her property south of Gympie.

Maybe she just wants a change in the menu - from fish & chips to Cray & chips.

Any ideas appreciated!  I see that "Cherax Park" is nearby, but she wants craylings, not adults!

Grover

On 19/01/2020 at 7:40 PM, Grover65k said:

Time to re-liven this thread!

Can anybody recommend a good commercial source of Red Claw craylings near Gympie?

#1 Daughter is trying her hand (foot?) at aquaculture in a couple of dams on her property south of Gympie.

Maybe she just wants a change in the menu - from fish & chips to Cray & chips.

Any ideas appreciated!  I see that "Cherax Park" is nearby, but she wants craylings, not adults!

Grover

One of the first links I clicked on when googling aquaculture redclaws was a company that sell craylings. 

http://crayfishtraders.com.au/freshwater-australian-crayfish-traders-fact/products/bait-products/ this one 2-6cm length 

https://www.redclawhatchery.com.au/ these guys are in townsville but ship craylings. Min 10,000 order though. Might be able to negotiate a little. Not sure on pricing though. 

On 09/04/2020 at 4:45 PM, QldMick said:

have a boat? somerset trip.

P5030080.JPG

I am in rocky and I hear lake awooga is meant to be decent for them. Might have to convince the old man to talk to his clients on properties to have a crack at more local private waters. Its been a few trips around the sun since I have chowed down on some

i tried lake awoonga for 2 nights and only ever got 1 or none in a lift, but then all the sudden i got a dozen in one trap. i'm thinking that all those fork tailed catfish i there might have an impact of the redclaw population.

P5030086.JPG

P5030091.JPG