Harris.

New heater struggling?

My new 300w eheim heater arrived yesterday, tank hasnt been heated since its still cycling. 

Temp without heater was 19°c

heater set to 28°c left for over 12hrs, temp is at 23.5°c consistently. Light hasnt turned off, it seems like it cant keep up? 

Its rated from 600-1000L

Tank and sump total  is roughly 600L after taking in consideration for media driftwood and substrate. 

Sounds like one of them stoopid red n blue calibration thingamigs on it.

Man they are sooo unnecessary imo.

Sounds a bit under for 600l too, depends where tank is situated as well i guess, lids etc etc

I always worked on one watt per litre, until the ridiculous hits then just heat the room.

These other claims for submersible heaters seem too outrageous, afterall power output is power output.....

15 minutes ago, borntobreed said:

Sounds like one of them stoopid red n blue calibration thingamigs on it.

Man they are sooo unnecessary imo.

Sounds a bit under for 600l too, depends where tank is situated as well i guess, lids etc etc

I always worked on one watt per litre, until the ridiculous hits then just heat the room.

These other claims for submersible heaters seem too outrageous, afterall power output is power output.....

So what should I do? Add more heaters? Or is there another way? 

Found a 200w ill chuck that in aswell. I also found my thermometer temp alarm so ill put that on and just crank the heaters up till it maintains 28 while we are in winter then rest of year should be able to maintain it properly with heaters at the right temp. 

I got one as well its the calibration  they sux  I have taken it out and got a new one its set on 18 and the temp  in the tank was 32 and when I tried to calibrate  it :oops: well it turned to shit  so I got a Hopar Thermosafe LED Digital Heater  from aquaholics  ste at 28 and all good :)

Hi Harris,

x3 with the calibration.....   I've a 300W Eheim on a 630L tank and i've got it set @ 27.    Temp on the filter says it's always around 26.5 to 26.7.   Seems to be on a far bit at night when the temperature drops.    I'd guess if I bumped it up to 28 it may struggle.

Cheers,

Jason

I have a Eheim 300W heater on a 600L and do not have any issue maintaining it at 27-28 degrees but I do have polystyrene insulation on all sides of the tanks except the front facing glass though so it helps retain heat.

I have two stand alone thermometers at different corners of the system and I monitor the temperature via these thermometers. From memory, the setting on the heater reads 30 degrees but I don't really care what it reads as long as the thermometer shows the system to be within the desired temperature. I also have the heater on a separate thermostat as a redundancy in case the heater sticks and cooks the live stock.

22 minutes ago, raycam01_au said:

calibrate your heater if it has the little fittings like @borntobreed said

or use 2 heaters we have 2 in our 600ltr Discus tank and its perfect now, it struggled with one, one is set at 28 and the other is at 27 

I calibrated it but still not on point, threw another heater in and its all good now. 

2 minutes ago, raycam01_au said:

cool

yeah we had the exact same concern, we bought a nifty Temperature Controller Aquamedic T and its the bomb with temp alarms etc, its sexy

Mr. Raymond, link me your gadgets please sir.

2 hours ago, raycam01_au said:

Hi MAte

we bought it off @The Tech Den i like John, good bloke, 

https://www.thetechden.com.au/Aqua_Medic_T_Controller_Twin_Heating_Cooling_Co_p/am20025.htm

find the product here, its sexy

like me

Looks like i need to put in another order!! I get paid fortnightly and the last i dont know 3 or 4 pays ive dropped in an order haha 

There is always something i need!!! 

I have the eheim 300w on a 250L tank  and it can maintain 26-28C and not be running all the time. The tank does have tight fitting glass lids and a hood to help insulate some what at the top nothing on the sides though. No sump.

I would think a 300w would struggle with 600L if the tank was not insulated  a lot and water flowing to the sump and back causes a fair amount of heat loss on a cold day/night

The 300w jager heaters do say they are rated to 1000L @aussieorchid but I don't believe they state what temperature that is for or ambient room temp what type of tank. I imagine if the tank was set at like 24° it would be fine.

I use one on my 450ish litre tank with sump and no lids and it's fine, I hate / don't trust the thermostat on them tho so mine is controlled by my chiller thermostat. Also my tank is set on 24°c.

I've had eheim heaters get stuck on before and tanks get rather warm quickly. And the overly complicated temperature setting/ fine tuning is just annoying.

I would use two or three smaller heaters, that way if one fails and doesn't come one you still have two working. And if one fails in the on position it takes a lot longer to cook your fish.

Alternatively run one bigger heater through a temperature controller/ alarm that will prevent it staying on and warm you if temp drops below setting.

Something to consider is that in order to heat 1 litre of water by 1 degree, 4,186 watt seconds (Ws), or 1.163 Watt hours (Whr) is required.  So for this set up, the wattage (300W) and liters (600l) are known, so over 24 hours, the temperature rise can be calculated as ~14 degrees C from ambient (assuming zero losses - ie/ the tank system losing temperature into a colder room around it etc. etc).