Sign in to follow this  
professor_rob

Lungfish Breeders

Hi All

Hope this is in the right section.

There was an Australian Lungfish Breeder in Qld a few years back, but I believe they have sold their breeding facility (or it was up for sale). Does anyone know of any Lungfish breeders in Qld?

I know lungfish have to be DNA tested and micro-chipped and what not for sale, so I am guessing the odds are very low for breeders out there.

Any experts on QLDAF able to provide any info?

Thanks-guys

Not sure if this information is correct or not. But we were at an Aquarium shop in Brisbane a few weeks back and spotted a Lung fish they had in a display tank. We asked about it, and were told that no one in Aus is allowed to breed them anymore. And that they can't be imported as well. Like i said, not sure if this is the case. just what we were told.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, S & Z said:

Not sure if this information is correct or not. But we were at an Aquarium shop in Brisbane a few weeks back and spotted a Lung fish they had in a display tank. We asked about it, and were told that no one in Aus is allowed to breed them anymore. And that they can't be imported as well. Like i said, not sure if this is the case. just what we were told.

Cheers

Oh that is annoying. When searching for the place on google it brings up a for sale add of the breeding facility, saying it is the only licensed facility for breeding and selling the fish. I wonder if they sold or didnt sell the place but not selling the fish any more, hence no one else is allowed to sell them.

Thanks for the info.

I recall....many years ago some members of ANGFA got a permit to collect some eggs....they did so and raised the fry to maturity

I don't know if you can still get a permit to collect eggs??

19 hours ago, Rod said:

I recall....many years ago some members of ANGFA got a permit to collect some eggs....they did so and raised the fry to maturity

I don't know if you can still get a permit to collect eggs??

Will look into that, seems like a lot of trouble to go through though...I would have no idea how to collect eggs, or find an egg, then what to do with them...

Where did they get the permit from? Was it the Department of Primary Industries?

The ANGFA forums are pretty dead

Sorry....don't know any further details

Seems the Howard breeding facility is still on the market....have you followed that up to see if they are still selling fish?

21 minutes ago, Rod said:

Sorry....don't know any further details

Seems the Howard breeding facility is still on the market....have you followed that up to see if they are still selling fish?

Yeah the website is still down....so dont know a contact number...got the email address of the guy, can try and send an email. But he was never the best at responding...will give it a shot though.

Anyone else think that dna testing and micro-chipping lungfish is both stupid and unnecessary? if the government was so concerned with their conservation they would let anyone and their dog breed them. whats next? micro-chipping honey blue eyes.. lol

1 hour ago, Kalo1993 said:

Anyone else think that dna testing and micro-chipping lungfish is both stupid and unnecessary? if the government was so concerned with their conservation they would let anyone and their dog breed them. whats next? micro-chipping honey blue eyes.. lol

Yeah a bit annoying, looks like no real option to acquire one at all now....Can get all the jardini's, archerfish or other natives you want, but not AUL's...maybe just a case of sour grapes with me at the moment.

livefish.com.au are taking expressions of interest for people wanting to buy lungfish...I caught a few in brissie river..should have kept and bred them..strange they won't let you...the biggest one I caught was about 1/2 mtr

3 hours ago, steven3838 said:

livefish.com.au are taking expressions of interest for people wanting to buy lungfish...I caught a few in brissie river..should have kept and bred them..strange they won't let you...the biggest one I caught was about 1/2 mtr

Cool info, do you have any idea on the price?

Just heard back form Livefish if anyone is interested, they are taking EOI's for the next 3-4 weeks, enquired about prices and was advised nothing is confirmed yet, but estimating the price will be around $2500-$3500

Well I guess I am out...

Mental price for a native fish.

Jardini on fb would have them. Contact Jason Coe he should be able to sort you out. Price maybe steep but the amount of money it takes to condition and raise fish wouldn’t be cheap. 

Micro chipping and DNA testing is because they’re heavily protected and u can’t keep wild caught fish. The microchip makes it easy for authorities to track the history of ur fish.

Also think ull find they’re not easy to breed, and last thing they want is for people taking them from the wild thinking they’ll breed them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because they are illegal to collect keep & breed by law, its never stoped other people from keeping them, have you thought how many peeps keep fish that are dubious & people going into the wild to collect rainbows blue eyes, shrimp and even reptiles do you think they give 2 hoots about the law and with real crimms out there to get do you really think they give a hoot about fish keepers? Just my 2 cents. ;-)

Sign in to follow this