Sign in to follow this  
Farmboy99

Winter heating bills and reducing them.

Has anyone found an alternative source of heating fish rooms through the 6 months of winter? I'm tending towards designing an outside wood burner  and pumping from a sealed tank into water radiators in the fish room. Has anyone tried this and what are the pros and cons such as maintaining a reasonably constant temperature?

coolite insulation to back, sides and base of tank, and keep lids on. MY next one swill have front insulated as well, it will fold down to see into tank and they will have a black slide in,down false front that gest the algae the front glass remains clean.

This winter I have tried a new method to try and cut down the power bill.

I have a heap of solar panels, I have my heaters on for about 8 hours a day (spread out from 7am to 9pm) and off during the night. Heaters set to about 26-27 I think (not exactly calibrated perfectly) and the temps only drop about 1 degree during the night. It is a 3000L tank and the main pump helps keep temps stable during the night.

With the real cold nigths we had the lowest I saw the temps drop to overnight was 24 degs.

As soon as the outside temps pick up, I switch off my heaters, usually from about end of September to May-ish.

I have trouble in summer keeping the temps down, a few days the temp gets above 30degs.

edit - I know this solution wont work for everyone but seems to be ok for me. Love timers, have so much equipment on timers to help with power bill.

Edited by professor_rob
Updating post - more info

I decided not to heat a few of my tanks and indoor pond this year as an experiment and had no fish losses at all, fish included were silver dollars, a few barbs, jack dempsey, L397 and a few other catties and a black shark. lowest water temp was around 14-15, all the fish except for the shark stopped feeding but are all eating now and seem to be in good health.

The temps in Brisbane are not too different from here so could work but i certainly wouldn't try it with young, sensitive or expensive fish though.

Sign in to follow this