benno87

Large tanks and rental properties

Hey guys, just wanting to hear from fish keepers who are currently living in rental properties with lots of tanks and large tanks of 6 feet and over. 

Just wondering how this usually goes down with landlords and real estate agents when rather large bodies of water get set up in they're properties?

would love to hear stories and opinions as we are shifting places soon and I'm dying to get my 6x2 back up and running(has been sitting in a storage facility for some time) as well as something quite larger down the track and possibly a breeding rack. Just wondering how it may go down. Obviously thre is insurance etc to possibly safe guard against accidents and disasters. Curious to hear about other renters experiences and land lords opinions.  Unfortunately buying is not really an option at the moment. 

Cheers in advance. 

We waited about 12 months in our current place till we had the landlord's trust that we were good tenants. Asked permission for a few tanks to start, let them see the tanks neat and tidy during a few inspections. We are lucky and have tile through the whole house which I'm sure helps. It was no issue when we asked for our 5x2x2, but probably wont plumb our whole system until we buy the property later this year. Think it really depend on how well you get along with the landlord and how easygoing they are. 

I've found that because fish are "ornaments" to regular people real estate agents don't seem to even bat an eye.
I've had thousands of liters of water in tanks and they didn't even notice but I will tell you what it's like in a few weeks after I build my 2500L tank and have it setup for my next house inspection.

It depends on what real estate you are with and if your next house says pets the house we have now the real estate said no and later said we could have if it had a hood and insurance so when the landlord come over we asked him if we could have a tank and he was all good about it 

39 minutes ago, Nazegoreng said:

We waited about 12 months in our current place till we had the landlord's trust that we were good tenants. Asked permission for a few tanks to start, let them see the tanks neat and tidy during a few inspections. We are lucky and have tile through the whole house which I'm sure helps. It was no issue when we asked for our 5x2x2, but probably wont plumb our whole system until we buy the property later this year. Think it really depend on how well you get along with the landlord and how easygoing they are. 

Thanks for the swift reply Sarah, I'd actually noticed from rays vids that you guys fish room area is tiled which prob helps a lot. We are also looking for something mainly tiled. Happy to hear yous are buying the place, judging by all the videos you guys are in a beautiful part of the world there. Cheers

36 minutes ago, Jeremy3057 said:

I've found that because fish are "ornaments" to regular people real estate agents don't seem to even bat an eye.
I've had thousands of liters of water in tanks and they didn't even notice but I will tell you what it's like in a few weeks after I build my 2500L tank and have it setup for my next house inspection.

Haha that makes me feel a lot more confident thanks mate. Make sure you let us know how the 2500 litre set up goes down lol. Sounds likes you've got a pretty cruisy landlord lol

It's the owner who is awesome but all the places I have lived the agents basically didn't even realise I had tanks and I had 2 6ft, 3 5ft, 2 4ft and 5 1-3ft deep tanks in the lounge room/dining room and I will be doing a DIY thread when I start the 2500L doing a full update on all of it.
I also forgot the racks I had in the garage and the axolotl tank I had in the office.

Edited by Jeremy3057
Forgot I had more tanks around the house.

I never thought to ask really. I started off with a 3ft, then got a 5ft and during inspection times they never said anything about it. So I got a 4ft so 3 tanks in the lounge room for awhile and they werent really fussed about it. Sold the 3ft and the 5ft recently and upgraded to a 6x2x2.5 tank. Now Ive the 6ft and the 4ft in the lounge room. I guess just as long as the place is clean and tidy and youre paying ur rent on time they dont really mind.

When we were renting we asked the property manager and he just told me straight 'it's just furniture as far as i'm concerned, the fish aren't going to get out and tear up the carpet or chew walls'.

As a landlord, I wouldn't let any tennants keep an excessive amount of tanks. I've had humidity and mold issues, termites  (on the 7th floor of a concrete building), ruined carpets, and swollen floor joists & neighbour complaints every major tank over flow. 

And it's not like i don't understand the fish keeping passion. 

The tanks I have are at rental property atm, the real estate agents and land lords bloody love my tanks!  All roughly 5k litre plus I total,  they are more mesmerised by the awe of thr tank n contents rather than inspecting..  Inspections take like 5 mins max and tank talk is like 10 mins straight lool. My house has no room for tanks.  Hence..  

They just say that I'm ballsy for setting up such large volumes in a rental. 

Landlords aren't that concerned with contents insurance as that's the tenants responsibility. They are interested in structural damage, devaluation of investment, costly repair bills and loss of income while this happens. 

Wasn't thinking of contents, I know about that, moreso insurance from the tenants behalf to cover damage to the owners property in the case of an accident, but I suppose thats landlord insurance, you can sort that :P