Shayla

HELP- is this algae destroying my babytears ?

Hopefully I'm in the right forum.  

Hi all, my 1st aquarium has been going for around 7weeks, the plants went in 2 1/2weeks ago and the tank was fully cycled and fish added 1 week ago.  Each day I am finding baby tears broken off and floating in my tank.  One bunch is covered in a brown substance and is falling apart and the other bunch looks great and is thriving.  

Please could you check out the photos and give me some advice on what it could be and what I can do about it?  One photo shows the affected plant and the other shows the thriving one (they are from the same plant that I split). 

TIA - Layla 

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

Ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 10-20

ph 7.5

temp 26

i used Easy care ProFida last week as my plants were dull and grey looking, I read that it's better to under dose than overdose on fertilisers so I only put in half the recommend amount.

thanks again

We have an external Fluval 305 filter and 2 air bubblers that suction to the side of the tank.  We have just purchased a Fluvel LED strip lamp for freshwater planted aquariums and we have it on light for 10hrs (dimmed) and then blue light for 2. 

I bought a brittle nose and 3 Siamese flying foxs today and tried to pick the worst off using tweezers, the Siamese guys also got in there and cleaned a bit up.  It looks as though it's the only plant that's affected.

i was told by the LFS that nitrates under 80 were ok, but I was planning on doing a 25% water change weekly and it will be due on Saturday.  Should I be aiming for lower? It's hard on the test kit to tell the difference between the 10 and 20 ppm.  

Regards 

If the second plant is thriving it may be easier to just wait until it needs a trim and cut the long stems in half and plant the tops to create a replacement for this sickly looking plant. ie Cut your losses and move on.  Concentrate on the growth of the plant thats doing well.