Hi everyone.

Long time since I have been on the forum as life has kept me super busy.  

My question:

I have a 150 litre planted tank which houses bronze and panda corydoras as well as 60 (estimate) mixed endlers.   The tank has been running for more than two years (probably closer to 3) and receives regular weekly water change. It is filtered by a HMF as well as sponge filter and small HOB. 

For several months the tank has also housed my female angel as my male was trying to kill her. Everything was going fine...no deaths for a long time..and then in the last two weeks every morning I have been finding dead endlers at bottom of tank. At first I thought it was the angelfish killing them so I moved her back to her old tank. And yet two weeks since I moved her I am still losing fish...Sometimes as many as 5 each morning are on bottom. 

I am losing both males and females in the same way. I have even observed them dying.  One minute they are swimming and the next the are twirling to the bottom and dying.  What is really strange is that until they suddenly do the twirling, my fish are behaving normal.. They are eating, chasing each other and breeding - there is however very few fry.  What I dont understand is that the corydoras are completely fine.  Iv'e not lost any of them. ..and I would think if there was a problem with my water that these too would be showing signs of being sick or dying. And the angelfish that I returned to tank is breeding and healthy.

The endlers that are dying have no outward sign of infection or disease.  I was wondering if it was something to do with the food.  They get NLS flake, frozen blood worms maybe 2 times a week and squished shelled green peas every few days .... the corydoras are eating the same food and are unaffected....I am at a loss.

if anyone has any ideas could you please reply.

Water parameters as of today (did water change 2 days ago):

pH - 7.6

Temp - 24c

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 15 

Thanks.

But doesn't columnaris result in fungus like growths and poor condition? Mine don't have anything/growths etc on their bodies at all...

Iv'e just fished out another six bodies...and done another 30% water change...I feel pretty helpless...I did spot two fry while doing the water change so that's a plus...If the numbers drop too much further I think I will divide them and put some in my hospital tank ...that way if it is something in the tank, the ones I remove and place in the hospital tank might have a better/some chance.

Do they seperate off from the school or anything before hand?

I wonder if it could be viral?

(Can’t find it but thought the carp virus builds up, then suddenly takes off, with mortality shortly after).

Are they suffering crazy gill damage?

It does sound like poisoning, if its not nitrite maybe something more exotic. Some easylife or activated carbon could be a good call.

Examination of guppies under a microscope will usually reveal clues unseen to the naked eye.

They are swimming normally..even going after food..then they just start to twirl, lie on bottom and die..to the naked eye there is no sores or body issues that i can see...the corydoras are completely unaffected...and they are eating same food. ...i dont have a microscope.

Johnbetta said it could be columnaris...how that could be is a mystery ...the only fish i have moved into problem tank is my female angelfish...the tank she came from has guppies, tetras, mollies. platies, more corydoras and clown loaches and all of them are fine - no losses. 

It's not looking good...i did another partial water change this morning...but more have died since....less than half of the colony remains..