Jump to content
grubby

Are Gumtree people subnormal ? or what

Recommended Posts

What the Fcuk is wrong with Gumtree buyers ?

 

So I am selling a few of my fish on Gumtree. Nothing special, just thinning down the exotics to make room for Rhads. I have three Yellow Tailed Congo tetra to sell. A bloke writes to me wanting to buy them and has asked for photos of the fish in Question. FFS !!!! Its not like I am selling a Flowerhorn or a Arrowana. Its a Yellow Tailed Congo tetra FFS, you've seen one you've seen them all, especially when you tell the seller that you already have a school of them. Christ on a bike !!!!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the world of gummies ,expect the idiots you will only have your suspicions confirmed ,,and occasionally someone will surprise you....

and hi grubby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billfish said:

Welcome to the world of gummies ,expect the idiots you will only have your suspicions confirmed ,,and occasionally someone will surprise you....

and hi grubby 

Hey mate. I knew there was reason why I rarely use Gumtree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Grubby,

How's this one.... I had one guy that was buying $300 worth of tropheus after handing me his 20L bucket without a lid tell me to put them in there without water as he didn't want it spilling in the car on the 45min trip home.   He said it would be OK as he'd put them in his tank as soon as he got home!!

My wife who has no interest in fish even commented "some people can't be that stupid".   How do you answer that :)

Cheers,
Jason 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JB said:

Hi Grubby,

How's this one.... I had one guy that was buying $300 worth of tropheus after handing me his 20L bucket without a lid tell me to put them in there without water as he didn't want it spilling in the car on the 45min trip home.   He said it would be OK as he'd put them in his tank as soon as he got home!!

My wife who has no interest in fish even commented "some people can't be that stupid".   How do you answer that :)

Cheers,
Jason 

   

Yeah Jason, why am I not surprised.  The Gummies alway, always turn up with Buckets. They get a stern lecture from me about bucket burn and the fact that a white bucket will freak fish out. Thick as pig sh!t the lot of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many intellectually challenged buyers on Gumtree.....and just as many sellers

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for photos....easy to do these days with phone cameras

I've seen incorrectly identified, deformed or diseased fish when arriving to collect fish sold on Gumtree....

A photo saves time and potential embarrassment.....even for common species

You know the fish are heathy.....but in most cases the buyer doesn't know you or your skills as a fish keeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, grubby said:

Yeah Jason, why am I not surprised.  The Gummies alway, always turn up with Buckets. They get a stern lecture from me about bucket burn and the fact that a white bucket will freak fish out. Thick as pig sh!t the lot of them.

Maybe I am one of those gummies, but what is bucket burn? While I know a white bucket freaks fish out, I have tried googling the last 10 minutes but couldn't find any literature regarding bucket burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jc12 said:

Maybe I am one of those gummies, but what is bucket burn? While I know a white bucket freaks fish out, I have tried googling the last 10 minutes but couldn't find any literature regarding bucket burn.

Sorry, its a Native fish thing. If you don't go collecting in the wild it probably isn't that obvious.

 

I am a member of ANGFA, one thing that is drummed into us on all collection trips is the importance of  avoiding bucket burn. Bucket burn is when you take fish from the wild and throw them into a bucket, they get stressed and they swim around and around the bucket glancing off the sides and scrapping away their slime coating.  Years of collecting experience amongst the members of ANGFA has found that you have a greater survival rate if you do the following instead.

 

1 line your bucket with a black plastic bin liner, then fill with water from the creek you are collecting. Add a tablespoon of salt for hygiene reasons. Aerate the water with a battery powered aerator and place bucket in the shade away from the sun.

 

2. When you catch fish, put them in the lined bucket. When you are leaving either tie up the bag like you would a plastic fish bag or transfer into clear plastic bags and use the black plastic bag to transport the fish home. Darkness is good, its stops them getting stressed.

 

The same logic should apply to transporting fish that you buy from another hobbyist. Don't use a bucket,  put your clear plastic bags inside a dark bag like a woolies grey plastic bag. If you notice when you buy fish from an Aquarium, if its any good, they will put your purchase in a dark plastic carry bag to take home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jc12 said:

Great information @grubby! Thank you for sharing. :)

It is such a simple but logical thing to do when transporting fish, especially wild caught (collecting natives). Glad I asked, and learn something new.

I am slightly less of a gummy now. Haha.

Do you keep natives ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, grubby said:

Yeah Jason, why am I not surprised.  The Gummies alway, always turn up with Buckets. They get a stern lecture from me about bucket burn and the fact that a white bucket will freak fish out. Thick as pig sh!t the lot of them.

OMG white buckets freak fish out??? What about the white styrofoam boxes that they are packed in and sent all over the world?? Think that’s the last thing they worry about - darkening the container or box helps but in my 10yrs + experience shipping there has been no problems using white buckets lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grubby said:

Do you keep natives ?

No. Have no experience keeping or collecting them. May be an option some years down the road if/when I have a pond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wandering through a pet store and looking at the aquarium section, staff member noticed that I spotted a couple dead floaters.. and no word of lie, with a straight/flustered face said "oh they must have drowned". 

But yes, very painful selling on Gumtree.  Had people ask for petrol money to pick up fish before...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2017 at 8:58 AM, grubby said:

Yeah Jason, why am I not surprised.  The Gummies alway, always turn up with Buckets. They get a stern lecture from me about bucket burn and the fact that a white bucket will freak fish out. Thick as pig sh!t the lot of them.

What’s wrong with buckets?. Not all fish breeders supply bags for transportation as I have found out myself. I’ve been to quiet a few big time breeders and I was “asked” to bring a bucket. 

 

Ive actually had someone come with a Coles plastic bag and tried to put fish in it lol. And also a glass jar. Like wtf are you serious, and I said no I’ve got some fish bags for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2017 at 10:23 AM, grubby said:

Sorry, its a Native fish thing. If you don't go collecting in the wild it probably isn't that obvious.

 

I am a member of ANGFA, one thing that is drummed into us on all collection trips is the importance of  avoiding bucket burn. Bucket burn is when you take fish from the wild and throw them into a bucket, they get stressed and they swim around and around the bucket glancing off the sides and scrapping away their slime coating.  Years of collecting experience amongst the members of ANGFA has found that you have a greater survival rate if you do the following instead.

 

1 line your bucket with a black plastic bin liner, then fill with water from the creek you are collecting. Add a tablespoon of salt for hygiene reasons. Aerate the water with a battery powered aerator and place bucket in the shade away from the sun.

 

2. When you catch fish, put them in the lined bucket. When you are leaving either tie up the bag like you would a plastic fish bag or transfer into clear plastic bags and use the black plastic bag to transport the fish home. Darkness is good, its stops them getting stressed.

 

The same logic should apply to transporting fish that you buy from another hobbyist. Don't use a bucket,  put your clear plastic bags inside a dark bag like a woolies grey plastic bag. If you notice when you buy fish from an Aquarium, if its any good, they will put your purchase in a dark plastic carry bag to take home.

That’s a good idea, but why not use prime that’s got slime coat in it and stress guard?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Julio_13 said:

That’s a good idea, but why not use prime that’s got slime coat in it and stress guard?. 

Why get into that position in the first place. Prevention is better than a cure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am with you 100% on transporting fish in white buckets Phil. Think that I most likely have enough experience in transporting and shipping fish to comment. Have held them in white buckets for short periods not ideal but you use what you have. 2K plus worth of fish in this one. You could ask the question. Are people subnormal on aquarium forums ? or what ...................................................................................

post-3443-14711625217199 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was selling a 5x2x2.5 tank + stand on gumtree and this fella asked me what's my lowest so I tell him, then he tells me how much he wants it for and I'm like no mate, then he goes, but me and my son have to put the effort in picking it up and the inconvenience of lifting it as well. WTF...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grubby said:

I live at Forest lake and someone wanted me to drop $20 worth of  tetra's to Ormiston. WTF indeed.

just offer free postage and they will be happy, you of course will be out of pocket though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Grubby, i had a guy who wanted to buy 5 Rainbow cichlids for $15.00 and deliver to Brisbane from Ips.  Ended up selling him 10 for $30 and met him at Goodna only because i was going that way to visit rellies.   Some people must have two d...s they surely cant be that stupid playing with one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive been selling 85% of my fish on gumtree for the last couple years (hence rarely on QLDAF anymore) and i hardly ever have a problem with gumtree buyers. 

i try to filter out the bad one by asking a couple questions before agreeing to a sale. and never give anyone an address untll you have a confirmed time.. then if they don't so up (rarely happens) i record the phone number and any other details i can remember. 

 

A

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...