Sign in to follow this  
Gavin1980

Staple Diet

What's a good quality pellet to feed as a staple diet to large Australian native fish like grunters, perch, and eel tailed catfish?

Also, what additional foods are good as well like frozen meals etc? I'm trying to stay clear of live fish and shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridleys native? kinda designed from the ground up for your fish species.

As far as health goes longterm, I'd supplement the ridleys with something fancy like Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Omni pellets.

If you wanted live, earthworms would be amazing.

For frozen, hard to go past krill :D

Ridleys native? kinda designed from the ground up for your fish species.

As far as health goes longterm, I'd supplement the ridleys with something fancy like Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Omni pellets.
If you wanted live, earthworms would be amazing.
For frozen, hard to go past krill

Thanks.

Is Ridleys pellets the dark brown pellets that a lot of aquarium stores sell separated from bulk in plastic containers?

Do you currently stock the Omni pellets in a large size? Would this be better as a staple diet instead of the Ridley's food?

Do you have the frozen krill in stock as well?

Where can you get earth worms from?

A lot of lfs do onsell the ridleys repackaged. With the rise of aquaponics, its something we have dabbled with even here at AOA. Not usually our style but was requested enough by our locals. They arent the best pellet, but they are a good native staple. Just mix it up a bit :)

The omni pellets are an amazing food as far as ingredients/results go, but we do only do the small and medium size pellets in the 2kg buckets. Once you get up to the larger pellets and are feeding a handful with each feed, some of the high protein/fat koi conditioning foods become a good option. Big fan of the 5kg Shori bags here.

We do stock the frozen krill, larger -> superbia and smaller ~>pacifica

As to earthworms, unless you grow your own, can be a bit trickier to source. Starter packs from bunnings are likely gonna be an expensive option.

A lot of lfs do onsell the ridleys repackaged. With the rise of aquaponics, its something we have dabbled with even here at AOA. Not usually our style but was requested enough by our locals. They arent the best pellet, but they are a good native staple. Just mix it up a bit
The omni pellets are an amazing food as far as ingredients/results go, but we do only do the small and medium size pellets in the 2kg buckets. Once you get up to the larger pellets and are feeding a handful with each feed, some of the high protein/fat koi conditioning foods become a good option. Big fan of the 5kg Shori bags here.
We do stock the frozen krill, larger -> superbia and smaller ~>pacifica
As to earthworms, unless you grow your own, can be a bit trickier to source. Starter packs from bunnings are likely gonna be an expensive option.

How does the Omni pellets compare to Spectrum New Life Cichlid?

If you are interested in understanding a bit more about fish foods and ingredients, the Oscarfish.com forum is a good starting point.  There is a good run down on the primary ingredients used in foods. They provide ratings for some of the bigger brands, and an explanation on why they rated the foods the way they do.  Even if a food you are interested in isn’t on their list, then there is good information there to help you make your own assessments. 

I like Oscarfish.com although some of the foods I have used in the past they have not rated as high as what I would have but it is a good indicator. Mix of food is great as AOA mentioned and frozen and if I was to add a couple the Insta Fresh which is the canned version of frozen is great and would be good to look at and the other favourite of mine is blackworm. Be careful with blackworm as a staff fed blackworm to a eel tail and once it got the taste it just spat the pellets after that.