Shayla

I think my Gold Ram has fungus on her fin

Hi, 

We have a recently new aquarium.  45gall, 3ft, Fully fishless cycled, freshwater, fluvel 305, fluvel LED (8hrs light, 2 hours blue light) gravel, fully planted, 3 Rams, 3 yo-yo loach, 3 sae, 1 brittlenose, 6 Congo tetra, 2 angels. Amm 0, nitri 0, nitra 40 (25% water change done), ph 7.5, temp 26. 

I have used profida fertiliser 4 times over 6 weeks at half strength for the plants, stressguard each time we added fish.  We added the fish weekly, 

The water levels have been good since the tank cycled - and fortnightly  25% water changes have been done.  

Two weeks ago we found our Blue Ram dying with what seemed to be a fungal/bacterial infection (it looked like cotton wool/ mould) on his body)

Today I have found my little Gold Ram has white dots appearing on the tips of her pectoral fin - they weren’t there yesterday.  Is it likely to be fungal? 

How should we treat it? What about the other fish in the tank? 

I really don’t want to loose another fish. 

Thanks in advance Layla 

9 hours ago, tutters187 said:

Could be white spot. false fungal infection or lymphocyctus - if Lympho it is supposed to be contagious by contact and untreatable but can disappear on it's own with optimum water conditions 

What steps should we take? 

My husband has gone out and bought Pimafix and Melafix and is treating the tank with that? This morning.  

Should we be isolating it? 

Maybe it would be best to just dose the whole tank, if its contagious it'll be in the tank and will infect the other fish eventually. Even though the other fish are not symptomatic at this stage, might be best to treat them all just as a preventative measure. 

On 11/12/2017 at 11:33 PM, tutters187 said:

Could be white spot. false fungal infection or lymphocyctus - if Lympho it is supposed to be contagious by contact and untreatable but can disappear on it's own with optimum water conditions 

Whats your current fave broad spectrum med?

About as old school as it gets but still rocking the wardley fungus-ade  for these "might be x/y/z" situations.

But yea if its viral......   too bad :(

On 11/13/2017 at 8:34 AM, Shayla said:

What steps should we take? 

My husband has gone out and bought Pimafix and Melafix and is treating the tank with that? This morning.  

Should we be isolating it? 

Post pics/video
Do a water test before water change
Water change 1/3 - 1/4 weekly

Whitespot and false fungal I believe can both be treated with copper or other similar white spot treatments etc.
Lympho best to isolate and keep in optimum conditions - sedating the fish it can be removed in some cases. 

Indian Almond Leaves have medicinal purposes for fungal and bacterial - wouldn't harm the fish to add some

Edited by tutters187

Hi all, 

So my husband has dosed the tank for 3days now with Pimafix and Melafix, as well as turning the temp of the tank up to 29.  I’ve come to take photos of the affected fish this morning and I can barely see the spots anymore - they defo wouldn’t be visible on a photo.  

Ive uploaded a picture of our first fish that contracted something “fungal” looking - I euthanised that one as he was suffering.  The ones affected now had white spots (kinda raised and furry looking) one yellow ram had 3 white dot lesions on its pectoral fin all slightly different sizes but not much bigger than a pin head. An the other yellow ram had developed red marks on his body behind his pectoral fins 2 weeks ago (I thought this was his colouring coming through) the he has developed the white pin head raised furry looking spots over that reddish area.  They both appear well.  From what I can see non of the others look affected yet. 

Our LFS advised formalin malachite so we have ordered some.  Would you be using this if the treatment we are using seems to be working? 

Regards Layla 

0BC1D646-5250-4A65-B69C-5385BB791F52.jpeg