Why is it that our hobby is plagued with haters and know it alls that feel only there opinion is valid.... im so sick of it. 

It seems everyone thinks they know best and that other breeders are oh so wrong, they do this and they do that....blah blah blah. 

What rubbish... stop being haters and pushing people out of the hobby.

the only person that would be pushed out of a hobby is a silly person

stick with like minded people, it is not limited to the aquatic hobby its everywhere

the behaviour you are describing in a person or group actually makes me smile alittle, cause i feel sorry for them :)

Symptom of the modern world I'm afraid, lots of people around nowadays who grew up with doting parents who spoilt them rotten, didn't discipline them or teach them respect, and fought anybody else in authority who tried to :(

That is why I keep to myself and a small group of trusted friends nowadays and don't allow other people anywhere near my fishroom. 

2 hours ago, frankthedolphintrainer said:

Ill just add that this isnt people saying stuff to me but more relates to people bad mouthing others behind their back.

But yes your right

People that believe shit thats said behind peoples back are far worse than the wankers saying it in the first place

38 minutes ago, DFishkeeper said:

Symptom of the modern world I'm afraid, lots of people around nowadays who grew up with doting parents who spoilt them rotten, didn't discipline them or teach them respect, and fought anybody else in authority who tried to :(

That is why I keep to myself and a small group of trusted friends nowadays and don't allow other people anywhere near my fishroom. 

There definitely is a feeling of self entitlement.

There is also a real lack of knowledge in the hobby too. People seem to be to lazy or afraid to research. They hear one wives tale, from another person & attach themselves to it like glue.

People also don't seem to hang around more the experienced fish keepers. Pick up tips, information etc... Then again, the demise of the LFS has made this harder too.

I know I come across as an arsehole, I get told it often. People really do give out poor information... ie; "just add salt" without any other information. People like myself, only post because care. It's funny to quote out of a text book, to be told you're wrong... Oh well, move on!

As said earlier, it isn't limited to this scene either. Be a part of any group, sports, clubs, hobby groups.... They're all the same. Took the good, with the bad

Frenchy :)

Ha .theres a minority that think they know all cos they read it on google or were told it on facebook by someone that wouldnt know what kh stands for  but they can breed the best of any fish going around .....just ask them ..

I left this forum for a fair while after a dealing with a person all of about 21  yrs  after an attempted dealing went sour as he proceeded to badmouth some of the guys on here that have the runs on the board and when they talk you listen ....needless to say he went back towards the gold coast with no tanks cos we werent dealing with him ..all annoyed he was gunna tell everyone here not to deal with  us cos we are jerks....not his actual words but you get the picture.......still waiting to be badmouthed .....i know who you are and not afraid to drop you in it

While we are at it watch that john from @tech den  he gives out dodgy mentos

All in all haters will always hate ..its an inferriority complex that a pc of 4x2 will fix gives us something to laugh about and makes my day when them dum asses come unstuck if you give them your time and think about them its nothing but a waste of time  

Made some real good friends and maybe even a life long one or two from here always willing to help and throw some decent advice my way  plus free cherry shrimp sweetens the deal....but why does it always follow with in a couple of weeks  an you help me move some tanks or a rack? Hmmmmmm secret agenda there  i think

Enough of my rant

2 things,

What other people think about you is none of your biznis!

and

No good deed goes unpunished.

As someone who has never been afraid to put himself out there, in a culture that encourages knocking down ye olde tall poppy I feel qualified to offer those 2 tidbits.

I have people that hate me because I have tried to convince them that their fish problems can all be traced back to cleaning their filters in tap water. "I have been breeding fish for 20 years and I have always done it this way" You try to fix the source of the problem, the reason for the cloudy water or algae bloom INSTEAD of just blindly loading them up with random products to treat the symptoms and people act like you are trying to lord it all over them lol.

It can be a confusing hobby.

End of the day I put the fish first, thats how I base my advice. Do that and you are going to hurt the odd feeling. Compassion for the human is the second priority and it is very important. Its hard for people to ask for advice AND hard for them to watch a pet suffer/die. You gotta understand that, and then use that to try not come off as jerk.

Still, its not easy. There is no reward for taking time out of your day to help people on fish forums really. And when you help people in a lfs, they are rightly suspicious that you are merely trying to sell them stuff lol.

End of the day theres nothing to stop people having a solo adventure in this hobby.....  but we arent all bad.

Just be prepared for everyone to have their 2 cents if you post about the hobby online.

:D

Don.

Its just the era we live in. All the social media carp like FB just breeds opinions by keyboard warriors who don't have to take accountability for what they say 

People are too proud or precious to accept advice from others for some unknown reason.

I appreciate the advice i have received from people (particularly from here) in the hobby and have learned a lot because of it 

And now i try and share that knowledge with others who may not have been so lucky to get the guidance I have received

The day I stop listening will be the day I stop talking 

There seems to be a lot of bickering and drama in the australian fish community, mostly around breeding which may attract a certain subset of people

The aquatic plant forums i frequent both australian and foreign have a better vibe