Jump to content
Gilbaisland

Something in the water

Recommended Posts

G’day all.

Lately I’ve noticed that a couple of hours after I do a water change (20% of 700 ltr tank) my Africans start with the rapid gill and mouth movement like they are starving for oxygen.

Today I did a water change and all the fry my females were holding have died as well.

Is it possible there is something in the tap water that has striped all the O2 out of it?

I have plenty of filtration running on the tank and plenty of surface agitation as well. Within about 48 hours the fish are generally all back to normal.

Cheers Jim.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you treat the tapwater and how quickly do you add the water in, is the water a similar temp when you add it in, if not it could be shock but I wouldn’t think that would cause fry to die and have your fish struggling for oxygen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply’s.
Also, the fish appear to be starving for oxygen but they do not hang up around the surface of the water, nor do they appear particularly listless. Apart from the rapid gill & mouth movement they seem fine.

I add API Tap Water Conditioner when doing water change. I’ve noticed the water temperature is still a bit high this morning so maybe tap water was a bit warm, I will test that today. Also I’ll do nitrite test as suggested.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember hearing about this issue in the past during summer. I kind of get the feeling the water treatment plants add more chemicals this time of year for whatever reason. How many buckets you have? I would personally try filling up the buckets 24hrs prior to water change which will help dropping chlorine levels and also make sure the water temp is similar to what your tanks are running provided you have no chillers/heaters operating. Might just be a simple case of higher chlorine levels so the conditioner isn't working as it should because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm lucky enough to be able to use rain water so I'm glad I don't encounter this but I do remember hearing of this issue on multiple occasions. If you were really worried you could also purchase a chlorine test kit to keep an eye on that and if your water conditioner application needs altering due to the higher chlorine levels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy chlorinated catastrophe Batman!
I used my pool chlorine test kit to test the tap water, and yes indeed, I got a reading; 0.4 ppm. Guess I will be setting up a holding tank to treat the water before adding to my tanks for a while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your water taste flat?   This would be a sign of low dissolved oxygen, oxygen makes water taste better.

Hard to do with big quantities like 150L but if you are going to set up a holding tank to deal with potential over-chlorination you could also add surface agitation to allow gas exchange to eliminate low oxygen also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stevil said:

Does your water taste flat?   This would be a sign of low dissolved oxygen, oxygen makes water taste better.

Hard to do with big quantities like 150L but if you are going to set up a holding tank to deal with potential over-chlorination you could also add surface agitation to allow gas exchange to eliminate low oxygen also.

Just another thought be careful overdosing prime to deal with excess chlorine, noting that a side effect of chlorine remover is decreased dissolved oxygen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×