Swaino

Sudden Death - Maybe Cory Poisoning?

Okay... so one of my daughters guppy's was swimming around happily and I literally sat down for 5 minutes to log on to this forum and look around. I turned back to the tank and he was on the bottom dead. and I mean dead not lethargic or struggling. Stone cold dead. Every other fish in the tank is fine.

The circumstance leading up to the demise. 18G tank: today is water change today. Parameters before change:  0, 0, 20ppm, After change 0, 0, 5ppm PH stable at 7.4 Water Temp stable at 26 degrees.

As this is a planted tank and I did a change, larger amounts of ferts have been added however I mixed the ferts into the refill bucket as opposed to squirting directly into the column. Dosage was 7ml Flourish Excel, 1.8 ml Flourish iron, 1.5ml Flourish Comprehensive. Flourish Comprehensive only goes in twice a week, the iron daily and Excel daily however, daily Excel dose is 1.8ml. I know the initial Excel dosage is high but it's never caused problems before and all the other fish are fine as previously stated.

The only other thing that i can think of that may be an outside chance is that he copped a spike from one of the Julii Cory's while trying to get in on some Algae wafer action. I'd put a couple in about 10 minutes prior to his discovery.

Anyone heard of Cory's killing fish in this way? I've never had a fish drop dead this fast. Usually I get some indication that the fish is not well.

Cheers

Temperature or ... I recently had issues with gas bubble disease all though not a disease, after water change. That can cause instant death, fortunately for me one cory had blisters that healed and went away after more air stones add which added more surface movement. I had no deaths.

4 hours ago, Julio_13 said:

Temperature change shock?

Considered that but I pretty much equalised the buckets before refilling.

58 minutes ago, Deanne said:

Temperature or ... I recently had issues with gas bubble disease all though not a disease, after water change. That can cause instant death, fortunately for me one cory had blisters that healed and went away after more air stones add which added more surface movement. I had no deaths.

Interesting haven't encountered this one before. No obvious signs of injury or issue with the fish other than lack of life but, I'll investigate that one further.

Cheers

For me no other fish showed any other signs but that one cory with blisters. But if you are filling with a bucket verses a hose from a tape it would be less likely. I also found my canister filter was sucking in air at the O ring at the top of the body of it. So it could have been my cause for the over saturated air to water. The filter could of been adding air to the water under high pressure. From what I read after seeing these blisters on only one fish was essentially the 'bends' like what scuba drivers avoid. That is my understanding of gas bubble disease, in my opinion in a condition not a disease. But from what I read, it can lead to instant death if the gas bubbles in their blood get into their heart etc.

Admittedly, The 20lL buckets had only been sitting for about 20 minutes after being filled by the hose before I refilled the tank. Usually I sit them for a day so so, this seems plausible just happy none of the other fish croaked. Pity though, he was one of the more spectacular Cobra Guppy's in the tank.

It might be a wild outside chance this was the reason, add a spray garden attachment to your hose to help de-gas water while filling your buckets. Or pop a spare air stone in buckets to agitate the water if don't have time to let sit. If anything get to learn about yet another aquarium problem/ disease. I personally rolled my eyes after reading about this gas bubble disease and thought 'what the f***, more ways to kill a fish, yay!!!' 

From what I read it can affect not only different species but individual fish differently. Sometimes this surface/ skin blisters are too small to see, that is if they get them at all. This might be the case with a guppy.

if you think this could have been the cause best to add or increase air bubbles/ surface agitation to the tank for a day or two to degas the water.

Sorry to hear about you loss.