Harris.

Which plant fertiliser to use?

Never really kept plants, 

Have started Stocking java fern and anubias, noticed one leaf on my anubias starting to show clacium and potassium deficiencies. 

No idea what fertiliser to use, want to use a liquid one as all my plants are on wood.

Also would purigen affect fertiliser and would it affect any types of fish/plecos as well. 

Let me know your experiences. 

Thanks! 

Easiest is Dino Pee from Aquagreen for general plant feeding, it’s a combination macro and micro fert but doesn’t have phosphates which need to come from fish waste / fish food.

Then look for specific deficiencies and top up with relevant liquid additives from a quality range.  Seachem or Continuum are good and easy to find.  For iron I use Yates Chelated Iron and dilute it (you can google the recipe).   Remember to shake the hell out of all additives before adding, particularly iron.

In my experience potassium and iron have been my deficiencies.  

If you want to save money then you start looking at dry ferts and maybe doing PMDD (poor mans daily drops).  

If you want to get right into it you are looking dry ferts but getting into a EI or PPS routine.  

I personally don’t have time to research and tinker with dry ferts but Aquagreen and other places sell everything you need.

Another tip, go to pharmacy and get graduated syringes, the ones with the orange plungers.   You’ll want 1ml, 5ml and 10ml.  They make life heaps easier.  

I punch a hole in the shoulder of the fert bottles with a skewer and leave the syringes in when not in use, makes it easy to dose, just invert bottle and extract exact dosage.  I discovered this when one of the child-proof lids got stuck and couldn’t be removed and I now find it heaps easier than any other way of measuring out.

steve

image.jpg

Also I don’t use Purigen because it like the tannins from driftwood and Indian almond leaves, but from my understanding inorganic salts and minerals (ie ferts) don’t get taken up by Puritan, which is designed to suck up organics?

On 14/02/2018 at 10:30 PM, Harris. said:

This is what i've been using, dosing once a week after a water change. I was also recommended the Liverpool Creek 'all in one'.

I can't remember why i chose the easy life, but i've been happy with it so far ( I have java fern and anubias also).

Thanks for the replys guys, going to try easy life first since i have ordered it already, will try that for a month then give all that dry ferts a go and see which I prefer. 

Thanks!!! 

On 19/02/2018 at 12:52 AM, Harris. said:

Thanks for the replys guys, going to try easy life first since i have ordered it already, will try that for a month then give all that dry ferts a go and see which I prefer. 

Thanks!!! 

Google “dosing with grubs” for good info on dry ferts