Lockymck

Orangehead tapajo breeding advice

Hello all,

I am after some advice in regards to my tapajos breeding.

Come home today to not one but two pair of fish having laid eggs.

I have 3 females and 4 males (not ideal, i know) in a 6foot tank and two pair have laid eggs on the same piece of wood not 8 inches apart. As you can imagine, it was caos around the area with both pair fighting off/guarding thier eggs against each other and the remaining 3 fish.

I have put a divider in the middle of the tank and seperated the other 3 fish from the two pairs with eggs.

My issue is that the two pairs are still into each other due to thier eggs being in such close proximity with each other.

Should i wait until tomorrow ( to ensure eggs are fertilised) and remove both males of the pairings to the other side of divider to leave just the females and the eggs alone?

Idealy i would of taken a pair out and put them and the eggs in another tank, but i dont have another tank.

Would leaving just the girls and eggs in one end of tank be my best chance of them successfully hatching and raising the fry?

I will be getting another tank in the next week to use as a grow out tank. I am thinking if the fry survive to being free swimmers, i will transfer them then. Im not experienced or keen on trying to move the girls while they are holding in case they swallow the fry ( has happened twice already due to me scaring them trying to net them).

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Pics attached.DSC_0153.JPGDSC_0152.JPGDSC_0151.JPG7cdb40e5f8069020dd991cf93c79eaf9.jpg3568206e08c61b11d7ee17a93eb41e04.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Jeez that will be a bloodbath! 

Have they done any damage to each other yet? 

I would try to wait till the eggs are fertile then separate the eggs completely. 

Jeez that will be a bloodbath! 
Have they done any damage to each other yet? 
I would try to wait till the eggs are fertile then separate the eggs completely. 
How?
Remove eggs from wood?

Maybe once fertile just put the parents back with the others and move the divider over so its just the wood and eggs, then once free swimming use a piece of airline to create a suction and move them to another tank. 

Thats what i would do that way the water parameters stay the same. 

Or just submerge a bucket and put the whole piece of wood in the bucket and move to another tank so no eggs leave the water. 

Maybe once fertile just put the parents back with the others and move the divider over so its just the wood and eggs, then once free swimming use a piece of airline to create a suction and move them to another tank. 
Thats what i would do that way the water parameters stay the same. 
Or just submerge a bucket and put the whole piece of wood in the bucket and move to another tank so no eggs leave the water. 
Dont the eggs need to be tumbled or something like that to replicate the movement of being in the mouth of parents?

3 minutes ago, Lockymck said:

Dont the eggs need to be tumbled or something like that to replicate the movement of being in the mouth of parents?

Place a airstone close enough to stop debris going near the eggs, but not too close. 

Place a airstone close enough to stop debris going near the eggs, but not too close. 
I will remove the males in the morning and see how the females behave together
Hoping that they end up helping each other to raise the fry

6 hours ago, Lockymck said:

I will remove the males in the morning and see how the females behave together
Hoping that they end up helping each other to raise the fry

Leave the males in as they to help the female hold the fry when free swimmer and they are cool to watch 

Leave the males in as they to help the female hold the fry when free swimmer and they are cool to watch 
Have removed males. They were both starting to show some war wounds. Prefer to not let them damage each other