DiscoStu

My fish are dying..what should I do next??

Problem:- My fish have suddenly starting dying overnight one by one. They don't look at all sick beforehand. One neon has popeye in one eye but ironically it's still alive. There's no gasping, no red lines, no clamping, no cotton wool etc. They look fine, and then they don't wake up.  It all started when my mum brought me a new guppy which died two days later...

Ph:- 7.0

Ammonia:- 0.25 - and I can't seem to get it to 0 despite water changes, topping up the carbon and using Prime. No dead fish or plants in the tank and I'm not overfeeding.

Nitrate:- 20

Nitrite:- 0

Gh:- I only have strips to test this - I don't know the number but it's really high and always has been

Kh:- I only have strips to test this - I don't know the number but it's "average" and always has been

Size of tank:- 55L

Temperature °C:- 28

Been running for:- over two years

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:-

Fish in tank:- now there's only 6 neon tetras, and a molly. There was a platy, two guppies, a rednosed tetra and 3 more neons :( 

Plants in Tank:- 2 amazon swords

Feeding:- once in the morning , crappy food from the supermarket...I know, I'm on it :)

Recent Medication Treatments:- after the new guppy died, I watched them all closely and then thought the platy looked like it had white spot, so I treated with some blue stuff I was given with the tank two years ago....I know...I'm going to get better at this I promise

Last water change:- today, 40%

Water change every Day/Weekly/Monthly:- I usually do about 20% weekly, since I've noticed they were dying I've been doing a bit every day.  A week ago I did a lot of gravel cleaning and wonder if I got rid of the good bacteria....?

You will find you have upset the bacteria in you tank that’s why you have ammonia showing up.all I would do is keep the water changes goin and don’t feed for a few days to let the bacteria catch up and make sure you have plenty of airation in the tank

What water neutraliser are you using?....you need one that neutralised Ammonia....some just treat Chlorine

When did you measure ammonia?

Some test kits will still read ammonia after it's been neutralised  

Guppies are terrible inbreed and can be hard to keep alive.

I'm just at Taringa....will Happily give you some tiger endlers once tank settles down....much hardier than guppies.....can only be killed with a hammer!

Thanks for the tips... It was a horrible week and I lost 12 fish in total. There are 3 neons and I bubble molly left and they all look really healthy,  and the water parameters are all back in line. Phew! 

I suspect it was a disease, made worse by me overreacting. The last couple to die I noticed did get bloated, lost colour and swam a bit vertically etc. Possibly ntd? Who knows. I think I saved the remaining guys by getting the sick ones out early. Lesson learnt, I'm going to set up a hospital tank. 

Hey I'd love some tiger endlers! And I think my water is too hard for neons, they're very happy with a bit of added rainwater today! Poor things aren't happy with only three of if them, not sure whether to get more.... 

I'd suggest you can keep neons in Brisbane tap water.....just not for long

They are breed in their millions in Asia (in soft water) imported and sold cheaply......in hard water they die over a few months, so you buy more 

Its just like the non aquatic plants most shops sell

shops get repeat business....it's the way it works

Endlers are perfect fish to keep in Brisbane Tap water....

Hardy, colourful, always moving....trouble is they soon over populate a tank :)so you don't get to continually go to shops and buy New fish. .....unless you buy more tanks!!!

Yep I will be avoiding buying from pet shops as much as possible from now on :)

Any other suggestions to go with the endlers?  Is it ok to just get one sex so that they don't breed and take over? :)

It’s not that you shouldn’t buy from fish shops....just don’t expect them to give the best advise or any advise.

You can get one sex...personally I’ve never bought one sex of any fish(unless I already had the other at home)....part of my philosophy for fish keeping....you won’t see fish in Best colours unless there are both sexes in the tank....

Tank mates....other livebearers

I have kept them with smaller Central American cichlids....and kribensis