Sign in to follow this  
nimit.pujara.1

Help with Algae and plant health

Hello,

My aquarium plant is getting hair algae. It getting onto everything.

Can anyone suggest fish that cleans it? My photo period is 3 hours only. I don’t have CO2 injection. Tank is almost 4 months old and cycled as well.

I have attached photo of algae bloom.

IMG_4556.JPG

5a0bfa01fe92435f8a982af1c345489a.jpg

Also plant leaf edge is getting yellow. How can I treat it? I am adding easy life fert 9ml once a week into my 170L tank. Also adding seachem iron 5ml once a week and continuum Prolifera for carbon 5ml a week( I have increased it to twice a week).

IMG_4557.JPG

f43f116398c23d9cfed4ba767f88f1e4.jpg

Can you please help?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like black beard. Turn your lights on less, Get some flourish excel and a syringe and squirt it into the algae, Or get a couple Siamese Flying Foxes. 

As for the leaf try some potassium, or it might just be dieing. Just get rid of it.

2 hours ago, nimit.pujara.1 said:

Thanx I will get Siamese flying foxes.

I am also getting green algae on glass now. Is it similar one as well?

No problems, that would be just your standard aquarium algae, you will have to increase your plant load to combat that especially since you are dosing high amounts of ferts

22 hours ago, nimit.pujara.1 said:

Thank you Cassam. I will half my dose of fert and I will get seachem excel. Can I double the excel dose to get rid of algae?

Cassar had given bang on advice.

you can double dose excel but it is toxic so do at your own risk.  I’ve done it to manage algae before

squirting excel directly at algae helps.

Some plants hate Excel, Monte Carlo and Vals spring to mind

Easycarbo is another good option for algae control. I have double dosed it without ill effects to anything except algae in the past. Use the syringe method as well and the hair algae will turn white overnight. 

Once a day. When you get the algae under control you can cut back the dose but it will come back if you stop altogether. I have a 400 litre tank and 10ml in the morning when I feed the fish seems to keep things in check. 

Sorry for the slow reply, I do water changes weekly but have done for ages. I'm pretty sure my algae issues are related to my LED lights as they only started after they were installed. I have reduced their on time and while Easycarbo keeps the algae in check I think I could eliminate it altogether if I installed a C02 system. I'm still learning about that side of things though and will likely give it a try when I know a bit more. 

I ran out of Easycarbo recently and didn't dose for about a week which resulted in some pretty healthy algae growth. Leaving the lights off for two days knocked it back though.

hi , my plants have also died off slowly since set up.. lasted ok but in the last month they have all perished. water level is good. done self testing and local store has tested with no issues or abnormalities. 

have done a water change and filter clean monthly. have 15 tetras and a couple of loaches and plecs, seem healthy enough. just at a loss with the plants....

tank looks bare and flat.... :-( 

any help will be greatly appreciated...

@keithcynru - I have used easycarbo. I add it twice a week half dose. It also depends on your local water as well. If you upload pic then other members will be able to help you out more. I also recommended using excel as well.

Sign in to follow this