Jump to content

Recommended Posts

this is my latest project, pretty excited about it so i thought i'd show off some progress

my fish nook is in my living room so i've been putting a lot of effort into making this second hand metal rack look nice. removing spot rust, repainting, and building shelves/baseboards and black base foam.
i've also tried to reduce small gaps to cockroach hidey holes. this will be my first roach free racking system.

still a way to go, two 4 footers up top and the bottom shelf will have a QT tank on the left half and an enclosed cabinet on the right (to house filters/electricals).

all the tanks in the background are my current fish nook so they all have to go. more fish in more water in less space :D YEWWW

IMG_4227.thumb.JPG.23afc28fca58c63df44a7f668827fed8.JPG

here's a rough plan, the dividers will be filter foam sheets

ardt.thumb.png.0bb8abe1d0525ab0ffabfdaef45835fd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

today's progress, was gonna cap the holes but decided to plumb some lines with valves for quick water changes because i had most of the parts already.

also found a pretty sweet way to mount my ecolamp kr90, not sure if its gonna cut the cake but it looks pretty neat and tidy fixed beneath the shelf

tomorrow ill be moving it into the corner and adding the fishies :) 

DSC_0153.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

new system up and running, and the fish have settled in. the transfer wasn't as smooth as i'd hoped and some of the fish suffered for it (sitting in tanks with no filters for too long)

IMG_4274.thumb.JPG.e3e263398f011f07f567c8f1b855ec29.JPG

i generally leave fry with the parents until i absolutely have to separate. so due to the transfer 3 different spawns had to be put in this area for grow out.

IMG_4283.thumb.JPG.b8754da8979eaba6aa0409815da5b25e.JPG

 

the middle tier is epic, there's about 50+ panduros and about 20-30 trifasciatus growing out in here. i also have two trif breeding pairs in here because there's nowhere else to put them until the extra dividers arrive in the mail.

IMG_4284.thumb.JPG.975373c45344c84afbf7b89af318fc91.JPG

and filter city... i'm gonna build a cabinet door to enclose all the filtration/electrical stuff and look nice. why don't i use a sump? silence is golden. and this is in my living room :P

IMG_4286.thumb.JPG.ec4251f30a1edb62f36ad3c07b0b1061.JPG
the top tanks get 2 cans each and then 1 for the bottom tank. those eheim quick connect taps are so awesome for juggling filters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set up looks nice @joller

I have sponges running in all my tanks just in case i need to do a move so even without a filter the there is some bio media and water movement. Its easy to run an airline to anywhere when moving things around, just what works for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i could have done it better. there's no air pumps here though, too loud for me

quarantine tank is ready for some new arrivals. plenty of juggling space with two dividers

DSC_0164.thumb.JPG.e27f7e1518d570904e4d7222ba7c4fe9.JPG

i sort of changed my mind on how to plumb the water change hoses towards the end, so it looks a bit like a dog's breakfast, so this may be improved in the future, but i used it for the first time yesterday and it was pleasant. currently thinking about how to make a water level alarm with my arduino so i never overflow any tanks, i can be pretty absent minded sometimes so i think it will be a worthwhile thing to do

DSC_0165.thumb.JPG.8334d2c6085148add68735fd5cb421e7.JPG

with the turn of two valves i can fill the QT tank with water from the middle tank as soon as fish arrive, and just move some hoses for a cycled filter. pretty nifty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've got some alanquer aggies and baenschi on the way now. i'd like yellow cacatoides if i can find some, and borellis

gonna be keeping the more tried and true species for a bit i think. and trying to keep a mix where i can still tell the females apart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been busy today as these things arrived from china. wired them up using short piggyback extension leads from bunnings. the great thing about using a piggyback is that i can plug a filter into the same outlet powering the heater, and control both with a single switch which means ill never run these dry. with 12 outlets/switches in this rack it helps to reduce the chance of fuckups

just need a bit of heatshrink and its ready for installation, pics to follow

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thermostats that control your heater (and cooler if you wire that up too) they're absolutely unnecessary but provide a good fail-safe from heaters malfunctioning and cooking your fish. Added bonus of digital temperature readout. This project cost about 40-50 dollars (not including plywood and paint which I already had) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×