Sign in to follow this  
Slipshodman

Splosht - Pond water cleaner

Hi All,

i was at a pond place on the weekend and came across this stuff.

Its supposed to be full of beneficial bacteria etc etc and will make you pond water clear with no ill effects to any fish or animal.

I though for $20 i would give it a go, i have no fish in my pond, there is enough going on with frogs, water dragons and the odd red belly black so just never bothered with fish.

Has anyone ever used the product or know much about it ?

They say you can use it for aquariums too but i wont be doing that 

http://www.splosht.com.au/

image.jpeg.7034e89d7029a81faadb468f98ae8ad9.jpeg

i should mention i normally use this stuff to try and keep the green stringy algae under control

it doesn't do a good job of keeping the algae at bay but does clear the water for a few weeks 

image.thumb.png.5b64d3aeac336a1fb40c328ffd61ec52.png 

Its a bacteria food suppliment that artificially increases the population of nitrate/phosphate eating bacteria. While they are alive the nitrate/phosphate is bound up....  but if you stop feeding it, they starve and die and the nitrate/phosphate is released into the water where it can be used by the algae to bloom again. Kinda like showing someone ciggies and then them being stuck addicted to them.....    personally I think the CSIRO did it better with phoslock. But its best for aquarists to solve the cause of algae blooms (nutrient load) rather than just treat the symptoms over and over and over and over and over. But hey, each to their own :)

Splosht has proven 1 thing for certain.

Radio advertising is still not dead!

The issue with bacteria food supplements is removing the bacteria before it dies and just dumps all its absorbed nitrate/phosphate back into the aquarium water. In marine we have protein skimmers which just make it soooo easy to separate bacteria from water. In freshwater we are usually best removing them with partial water changes....  and its easy enough to remove these nutrients with a water change wihtout bothering to bioaccumulate them into bacterial blooms in the first place. Ironically its super easy to bind nitrate/phosphate into hair/slime algae, which then is easy to gather up and remove from the water....  just looks horrid of course. Theres always duckweed, which is like the fish keeping equivalent of coriander in cooking. You either love it or hate it.

2 hours ago, ageofaquariums said:

Theres always duckweed, which is like the fish keeping equivalent of coriander in cooking. You either love it or hate it.

That's Gold 

I have no fish in the pond, just would like a way to control the green hair algae 

Yeah I've been using splosht since the start of this year in my small pond with goldfish, seems to do the job OK and you do need to chuck in an extra bag every couple of weeks.  Not sure I'd use it in the fish tank though they do make a specific product for that purpose.

Sign in to follow this