doviidays

Hello! New to American Cichlids

Hi. I've been researching American cichlids for a while and was thinking of owning perhaps a dovii or umbee.  

I have heard we only get Nicaraguan dovii in Australia although an aquarium store near me states on it's website that it sells Costa Rican dovii. 

Anyone able to clarify this for me?

Also I have heard umbee are hard to come by and not very many people keep them in the hobby. Is this true? And why would that be?

28 minutes ago, doviidays said:

Also I have heard umbee are hard to come by and not very many people keep them in the hobby. Is this true? And why would that be?

Not really hard to come bye few people have them. Not many people keep them I guess because they are a one fish per tank type fish for most people size tanks.. 

I would take the Dovii localities with a grain of salt. It was that long ago that it would be impossible to make sure that all Dovii in Australia are from Nicaragua. There are however, some beautiful fish about. The reason why these and the umbees are so seldomly kept is aggression, and size. Very aggressive fish that get huge aren’t a popular sell at your local fish shop, especially when in a sale tank they’d present as a pretty drab looking fish. At least Red Devils and oscars get a chance with there red colouration. If you were after a wet pet, I don’t think you could go wrong. But bear in mind, it will probably be the only fish in that (very big) tank for 10+ years. If you wanted to go ahead, keep your eyes on the classifieds here. I know there’s at least an Umbee breeder amongst our members, and good Dovii aren’t impossible to find either, we do seem to have some good quality in that species. Welcome anyway, and I look forward to seeing your tank and fish you end up getting!

7 hours ago, Jase86uxb said:

On QLDAF or bothering to tell anyone ..... I know at least 2 others.... there’s most likely still a few old skoolerz that don’t use computers lol 

i've seen the odd person on here that had umbees but when someone comes looking for them theres only ever gonna be one name that comes to mind

On QLDAF or bothering to tell anyone ..... I know at least 2 others.... there’s most likely still a few old skoolerz that don’t use computers lol 
Would you have any idea who some of the breeders are?:)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi, my name is Cellina and i have been doing community cichlids tanks for over 12yrs and i have decided on a change of just having an ultimate predator fish like an Umbee in my 6x2x2 tank, as i am new to this site any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

A lot of the American cichlids have been here that long they don't have a collection location

another big American you could consider is Festae

keep an eye on the classifieds here and also Petlink , Gumtree and some of the Facebook groups

You may find adult or sub-adult one in a shop but usually only fry