Sign in to follow this  
MaxVengeance

Not so native guppy population

As a kid going down to local creeks and collecting natives was something I did quite frequently, mostly just empire gudgeons and rainbows with traps and scoop nets, I was bored at home the other day and thought why not go down to a couple of my old spots and see how the native populations are holding up, then I remembered an old drain I used to go to that held swordtails and some unknown species of feral guppies, 10 years on and they are still abundant, unfortunately no natives seemed present, anyone know what these might be? 

2E592D15-86AB-4040-9ED5-35D9A98FB1F5.png

Yep thats a feral guppy alright. Cross it into any of the fancy girls from a lfs and you should get some wild crosses that are very pretty AND tough.

Just beware, feral guppys are almost always infected with something, whether its flukes, velvet or a bacterial infection. Quarantine and a multicure style prophalactic treatment is highly reccomended before adding them in with other fish you care about.

On 20/04/2018 at 2:17 PM, ageofaquariums said:

Yep thats a feral guppy alright. Cross it into any of the fancy girls from a lfs and you should get some wild crosses that are very pretty AND tough.

Just beware, feral guppys are almost always infected with something, whether its flukes, velvet or a bacterial infection. Quarantine and a multicure style prophalactic treatment is highly reccomended before adding them in with other fish you care about.

Thanks for stopping by mate, great another side project haha never really kept guppies, I’m going to have to now just out of curiosity, might go and collect some more see if I can’t find my stud male, they all have different tails and colouring, some are far nicer than the one I posted, quarantine and treatment is a must ofcourse, especially considering these guys come from a stormwater run off lol

1 hour ago, MaxVengeance said:

Thanks for stopping by mate, great another side project haha never really kept guppies, I’m going to have to now just out of curiosity, might go and collect some more see if I can’t find my stud male, they all have different tails and colouring, some are far nicer than the one I posted, quarantine and treatment is a must ofcourse, especially considering these guys come from a stormwater run off lol

Well you can always do the reverse, and add a fancy pet shop male in with some feral females. Same result, crazy coloured hybrids that are super tough.

My favourite thing about feral genetics is they are usually better at surviving low temperatures making them better as winter pond fish than other bloodlines.

6 hours ago, ageofaquariums said:

add a fancy pet shop male.....

(like me -Donny from AOA)

in with some feral females

(plenty around Browns Plains)

And wullah ! , you get some very informative hybrids with two heads and erect nipples in winter.

No thanks Donny, one of you is enuff matey.... ☺