1 hour ago, Slipshodman said:

your tandanis has rounded out well ...lol.. must like his food 

lol. its actually my forktailed catfish that is a guts, but the tandanis eats both sinking and floating pellets where the fork tailed only eats the sinking so I guess they both get plenty.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, MFF said:

There's some big fish!

yes growing well! the mangrove jack doesn't seem to be a super fast grower like barra or cod, but I think I like that.

my mangrove jacks been sick, color off, lethargic, not eating lately, I noticed his eyes had patches that were a little cloudy tonight and did some reading and low ph was said to be one of the causes. I tested my ph and it was 6! 

so 7 30 tonight I did a 50% water change, cleaned the canister filter and added dead liverock to the filter and tank, hoping to raise the ph.

I'm gonna test the ph again tomorrow. hopefully he will recover as he is a real pet.

How’s the Jack? Hope he’s doing well. Still on my bucket list to catch one.

On a side note, how does the cleanliness of a filter lower pH and how does dead live rock raise it? Is it due to calcium carbonate? Or am I way off base with that?

So he has started eating the other day, didn't eat for about a week. Seems better, I plan on keeping him till he's to big for the 6x2x2. I thought I've heard that wood in the tank and the breakdown of organic matter lower the pH. I used to use coral and limestone when I was breeding Africans I think their pH is high so it also raises the waters pH, it is also meant to stabilise ph.

I lost him today, he stopped eating for two months and finally passed away. I don't understand I put a smaller Oscar in with him which he ruffed up a bit but since then he refused to eat and has been scared of me and he wasn't before. I measured him after I fished him out he was 23cm.

Hey mate just seen this thread. Jack can be very sensitive to temperature changes. You need to be careful during the hot months just as much as the cooler ones. If they get to hot they will not cope. For a very hardy fish it seems to be there achillies heel